Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/24 16:23:42 UTC

[DISCUSS] New Logo

Hi Camel Riders,

With camel-2.7.0 out of the way I believe it's time to continue the improvements of the camel site design [1].
I will start a separate thread for documentation/manual and keep this thread for the logo and css.

We have already a few contributions and I don't think other contributors will step up with new proposals, so I'd propose choosing from what we have, which are of great quality already. So before we go to a poll or vote I would highly appreciate your input on what logo would be best for the camel project.

We have a few proposals so far:
A. https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/24186045/camelcomic.jpg?version=1&modificationDate=1291144284000
B. https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/24186045/camelcomic2.jpg?version=1&modificationDate=1291144284000
C. https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/24186045/dvichot-camel-logo.jpg?version=1&modificationDate=1296745441000

Since there are a few versions in each of the attachments above please specify your preference as combination of letter and number (in the last one they are not numbered, so let's use 1-3 left to right on the top row and 4 for the one on the bottom row). If it matters my favorites are C3 and C1, in that order.

If you believe something can be improved, like color, font (style, size and placement), please feel free to add your suggestion. I believe the original authors (or somebody) will be able to make the improvements.

Thanks,
Hadrian

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CAMEL/Site+Update+Ideas

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
I would also rather stay with the old logo for the moment.

Like James wrote A and B look good technically but are a bit off as a
logo and C are not so well drawn.

Christian

----
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com>.
FYI I have always thought this was the Camel logo (on top left corner of
http://camel.apache.org/):

http://camel.apache.org/images/apache-camel-100h.png

Am I wrong? But anyway, not an important detail...

--
Cheers,
Jon

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com>.
My current favs in order are:

#1 The current Camel logo
#2 If we REALLY must use a new logo, then D looks best

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
I assume we can make changes to it later on. Like James said, we'd need to at least add the text.
For now we're making great progress. The contenders so far are A and D. They are both simple, which I like. I agree with James, A is too angry.

With the new submissions I assume the preferences expressed yesterday will change. I am curious if anybody would find an aries style logo appropriate. Looks like we're close to finding a candidate, make a few modifications of it and start a vote.

Cheers,
Hadrian

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
I like D1 and D2

Christian

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Richard Kettelerij <ri...@gmail.com>.
Image is also available at

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
+1 C4

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 C4

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@fusesource.com>.
On 29 March 2011 11:23, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I like C4 as well (from Robs JPEG) but I wonder if we can have a
> version without the grey box?
> Just to see how that goes as well.

Yeah; though I do like the idea of some kind of box/background around
the text; seems to add a bit of structure to the logo.

--
James
-------

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@fusesource.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
I'll try a jpeg

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Richard Kettelerij <ri...@gmail.com>.
No attachment here

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
weird - it was a pdf - anybody else not see the attachment (attached)

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Johan Edstrom <se...@gmail.com>.
No attachment.

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
Attached is cartoon camel log with text

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
  D3a's Apache word is not clear enough, I like D1 more :)

--
Willem
----------------------------------

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Richard Kettelerij <ri...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Jon

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.
FWIW, I like this one.  It reminds me of camels in Terry Pratchett
books...serene, superior, ridiculously intelligent, and not above
spitting in your eye.

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
I also like this one

+1

--
----
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

--
Willem
----------------------------------

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Hadrian,

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@fusesource.com>.
quick answer: D

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
If the community wants to use the logo - then FuseSource would of course follow the guidelines for all future use of that logo.

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
I think what Hadrian is thinking about is that the consequence would
be that FuseSource's use of that logo would be governed by
http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/ which says the following.

Using the Apache Foo (and similar) graphic logos:
[...]
You needn't ask us for permission to use Apache's graphics logos (the
versions published on individual project's websites) on your own
website solely as a hyperlink to the specific Apache project website
or to www.apache.org. All other uses of Apache Foo (and similar)
graphic logos must be approved in writing by VP, Apache Brand
Management or a designee.
[...]

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 08:06, Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hadrian - are you wearing your Apache hat when asking that question ?
>
> Yes - these images are variations of the logo for the CamelOne event in May. You can compare the logo here: http://fusesource.com/camelone2011/.
> they have been done by a professional artist - so why not submit them for consideration ?
>
> From an Apache point of view you need to ask:
>
> 1. Are there any trademark, copyright issues over the use of the image? (the answer is no)
> 2. Would the community like to use them ?
>
> thanks.
>
> Rob
>

> On 28 Mar 2011, at 19:11, Hadrian Zbarcea wrote:
>
>> Claus,
>>
>> Why did you submit a variation of a logo that is already used by your employer for commercial purposes?
>>
>> Hadrian
>>
>> On Mar 25, 2011, at 6:37 AM, Claus Ibsen wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I dislike the A,B and C proposals.
>>> Especially the first two A and B, looks much more like horses than camels.
>>> For me personally I think its important that the hump on the Camel is
>>> in the logo.
>>>
>>> So far I like the old logo the best.
>>>

>>> Debbie from FuseSource marketing had some sketches draw for our
>>> CamelOne event by a professional sketch firm.
>>> She said she would like to donate logos to the community and pay for
>>> any changes we would like.
>>>
>>> She had sketched the following 3 camels.
>>>
>>> D: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/24186045/Camel01.jpg
>>> E: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/24186045/Camel02.jpg
>>> F: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/24186045/Camel04.jpg
>>>
>>> Maybe any of those or the cartoonish style it impose could be usable.
>>> The Apache Camel text logo should of course be added.

>>> --
>>> Claus Ibsen
>>> -----------------
>>> FuseSource
>>> Email: cibsen@fusesource.com
>>> Web: http://fusesource.com
>>> Twitter: davsclaus

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
I like C6

Christian

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Hadrian is there any news from legal about the Apache Camel logo?

Twitter: davsclaus, fusenews
Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Thanks. I will do so.

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hadrian,

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hadrian - are you wearing your Apache hat when asking that question ?

Yes - these images are variations of the logo for the CamelOne event in May. You can compare the logo here: http://fusesource.com/camelone2011/.
they have been done by a professional artist - so why not submit them for consideration ?

From an Apache point of view you need to ask:

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Claus,

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Björn Bength <bj...@gmail.com>.
FWIW, I like the current logo best, but from the these alternatives, I
think D is best.
Much for the reasons outlined by James.
Please don't choose an angry camel :-)
--
Björn

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
A1, A3, B2 in that order...

Christian

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Martin Krasser <kr...@googlemail.com>.
A1, A3, A2, in that order.

Am 24.03.11 16:23, schrieb Hadrian Zbarcea:
> Hi Camel Riders,
>
> With camel-2.7.0 out of the way I believe it's time to continue the improvements of the camel site design [1].
> I will start a separate thread for documentation/manual and keep this thread for the logo and css.
>
> We have already a few contributions and I don't think other contributors will step up with new proposals, so I'd propose choosing from what we have, which are of great quality already. So before we go to a poll or vote I would highly appreciate your input on what logo would be best for the camel project.
>
> We have a few proposals so far:
> A. https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/24186045/camelcomic.jpg?version=1&modificationDate=1291144284000
> B. https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/24186045/camelcomic2.jpg?version=1&modificationDate=1291144284000
> C. https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/24186045/dvichot-camel-logo.jpg?version=1&modificationDate=1296745441000
>
> Since there are a few versions in each of the attachments above please specify your preference as combination of letter and number (in the last one they are not numbered, so let's use 1-3 left to right on the top row and 4 for the one on the bottom row). If it matters my favorites are C3 and C1, in that order.
>
> If you believe something can be improved, like color, font (style, size and placement), please feel free to add your suggestion. I believe the original authors (or somebody) will be able to make the improvements.
>
> Thanks,
> Hadrian
>
> [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CAMEL/Site+Update+Ideas

--
Martin Krasser

blog:    http://krasserm.blogspot.com
code:    http://github.com/krasserm
twitter: http://twitter.com/mrt1nz

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
I prefer the old logo or the new proposed by Debbie

-1

Re: [DISCUSS] New Logo

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
A1