Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Pete <pe...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/17 16:56:14 UTC

urgent - downloading of snapshot not working, aaaargh!

Maven 2.0.4.

We have a common jar Maven Project call 'infra_Common', but even
though it deploys, it won't download to developer workstations after a
 'mvn deploy'

We have Continuum building & deploying this project as 1.0-SNAPSHOT,
however the snapshot jar only seems to get downloaded from our Company
Repository if a developer's localRepository is empty (i.e the first
time only).

Once the jar is in a developer's localRepository if it is then changed
by someone else and re-deployed using mvn deploy (either by hand or by
Continuum) it won't download again.

Maven will continue to use the locally installed snapshot version.

This is driving us mad, as it makes a mockery of binary dependancies
and Continuous builds.

What I do notice is that Maven goes off and DOES download the metadata xml file

maven-metadata-remote_rdfgroup.xml

(where the suffix appears to be our company repository name remote_rdfgroup)

so the build number in the local repository increments (as the new
file is xml downloaded) but it doesn't download the jar !!!

What's driving me mad is that I have had this working at other
development sites, with no problems at all.

I have tried changing the updatePolicy to always, in the project that
is dependant on the common jar.

e.g.

<repository>
	<id>remote_rdfgroup</id>
	<name>RDFGroup Remote Repository</name>
	<url>file:///\\xxxxx\maven2</url>
	<layout>default</layout>
	<snapshots>
		<enabled>true</enabled>
		<updatePolicy>always</updatePolicy>
	</snapshots>
</repository>

sequence of events :-

1) localrepository

  maven-metadata-remote_rdfgroup.xml

before a build :-

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><metadata>
  <groupId>rdf.infra</groupId>
  <artifactId>infra_Common</artifactId>
  <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
  <versioning>
    <snapshot>
      <buildNumber>23</buildNumber>
    </snapshot>
    <lastUpdated>20060517141954</lastUpdated>
  </versioning>
</metadata>

i.e. timestamp 14:19 pm

2) Central Company Repository (rdfgroup)

maven-metadata.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><metadata>
  <groupId>rdf.infra</groupId>
  <artifactId>infra_Common</artifactId>
  <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
  <versioning>
    <snapshot>
      <buildNumber>24</buildNumber>
    </snapshot>
    <lastUpdated>20060517143018</lastUpdated>
  </versioning>
</metadata>

i.e. timestamp 14:30 pm

3) then run a  mvn install   on the dependant project

localrepo -

  maven-metadata-remote_rdfgroup.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><metadata>
  <groupId>rdf.infra</groupId>
  <artifactId>infra_Common</artifactId>
  <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
  <versioning>
    <snapshot>
      <buildNumber>24</buildNumber>
      <localCopy>true</localCopy>
    </snapshot>
    <lastUpdated>20060517143018</lastUpdated>
  </versioning>
</metadata>

i.e. timestamp changed to 14:30 pm

but only the xml changed, jar not downloaded.

console output :-

[INFO] snapshot rdf.infra:infra_Common:1.0-SNAPSHOT: checking for
updates from remote_rdfgroup
[DEBUG] Skipping disabled repository central
[DEBUG] infra_Common: using locally installed snapshot
[DEBUG] Retrieving parent-POM:
rdf.infra:mform_infrastructure::1.0-SNAPSHOT for project:
rdf.infra:infra_Common:jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT from the repository.

finally here's the infra_common  parent pom

<distributionManagement>
	<repository>
		<id>remote_rdfgroup</id>
		<uniqueVersion>false</uniqueVersion>
		<name>rdfgroup_remote_repository Repository</name>
		<url>file:///\\xxxxx\maven2</url>
	</repository>
	<snapshotRepository>
		<id>remote_rdfgroup</id>