Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Ben Boule <Be...@rapid7.com> on 2013/07/30 17:41:36 UTC

Determining Snitch at Runtime

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if the answer to this question is out there, I can't seem to find it by searching.

Is there a way to read the endpoint_snitch at runtime, preferably from a CQL query, but fine if it's available through an older API?   (Or JMX?)

We're automating creating clusters & provisioning our schema appropriately into them, it'd be great if the provisioning program could figure this out once it connected to the cluster before creating keyspaces.  Right now we are having to track a maze of parameters to make sure that the cluster gets created with the right snitch, and then that we can pass a parameter into the provisioning program to tell it which topology strategy to use.

Thank you,
Ben
This electronic message contains information which may be confidential or privileged. The information is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please notify us by e-mail at (postmaster@rapid7.com) immediately.

Re: Determining Snitch at Runtime

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Ben Boule <Be...@rapid7.com> wrote:

>  It looks like I can infer this from the local table in the system schema
> by looking at the datacenter value.
>
> Would this be a bad bad thing to do?

There used to be a way to set the snitch at runtime, but that appears to
have been removed. Writing a MBean to expose this in a read only way
probably wouldn't be very hard...

=Rob

RE: Determining Snitch at Runtime

Posted by Ben Boule <Be...@rapid7.com>.
It looks like I can infer this from the local table in the system schema by looking at the datacenter value.

Would this be a bad bad thing to do?

Thanks,
Ben