Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Andrew Cooke <an...@intertrader.com> on 2001/08/03 12:19:42 UTC

apr-utils source? (Tomcat 4.0, Apache 1.3, NT, mod_webapp)

Hi,

I'm trying  to get Tomcat 4.0 working on NT with Apache 1.3.

Is there a tarball for apr-utils anywhere that I've missed?

Background: It seems that mod_webapp is used rather than mod_jserv for
Apache<->Tomcat comms.  However, there doesn't seem to be a precompiled
binary for this.  The instructions in server.xml for building this are
incorrect (at least, there's no connectors directory in the tomcat 4.0 with
source I installed from exe), but I found the webapp source.  Reading the
WIN32.txt in this, it says that I need apr and apr-utils.  Only apr appears
to be present, so I went to apr.apache.org to get apr-utils.  However, the
link there for downloading a tarball is broken.

I started on this track because of the XML parser problems with 3.2.3
(although tracking moving APIs).  For the record, if anyone else is trying
to work round this problem:

- Tomcat 3.3b1 appears to be buggy (see prev bug report on JSP problem to
this list from me)
- Tomcat 4.0b6 does not work with Apache out of the box and cannot be
compiled from tarballs (you might be able to build from CVS, but that's not
an acceptable for us (using beta at all is worrying)).
- I'm now going to try the jar file hacks (see earlier thread this list
"SAX 2.0 sealing, Tomcat 3.2" or similar).

Any idea how long before there's stable, release quality code that doesn't
suffer from XML parser conflicts?

Thanks,
Andrew

Re: apr-utils source? (Tomcat 4.0, Apache 1.3, NT, mod_webapp)

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Jacek Prucia at jacek.prucia@7bulls.com wrote:

>> - Tomcat 4.0b6 does not work with Apache out of the box
>
> That is why (among other things) it is beta.

Not true... Tomcat is beta because the 2.3 spec is still not final. Despite
the status of mod_webapp, when the spec will be final, TC4.0 too will be
final.

    Pier

Re: apr-utils source? (Tomcat 4.0, Apache 1.3, NT, mod_webapp)

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Andrew Cooke at andrew@intertrader.com wrote:

> OK.  Sorry if I've confused things, but to an end-user like me, with the
> requirement "JSP on Apache", it's not clear where Tomcat stops and
> something else starts (although as a software engineer I understand why the
> design is so modular).

Tomcat has an HTTP protocol adapter, and 4.0 works really well in
stand-alone mode (without the Apache Web Server in front)..

    Pier

Re: apr-utils source? (Tomcat 4.0, Apache 1.3, NT, mod_webapp)

Posted by Andrew Cooke <an...@intertrader.com>.

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Posted by Andrew Cooke <an...@intertrader.com>.

Posted by Jacek Prucia <ja...@7bulls.com>.
[...]
> Is there a tarball for apr-utils anywhere that I've missed?

Probably no, see below.

> Background: It seems that mod_webapp is used rather than mod_jserv for
> Apache<->Tomcat comms.  However, there doesn't seem to be a precompiled
> binary for this.  The instructions in server.xml for building this are
> incorrect (at least, there's no connectors directory in the tomcat 4.0
> with source I installed from exe), but I found the webapp source.
> Reading the WIN32.txt in this, it says that I need apr and apr-utils.
> Only apr appears to be present, so I went to apr.apache.org to get
> apr-utils.  However, the link there for downloading a tarball is broken.

You need to use CVS:

cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@apache.org:/home/cvspublic login
     (password is 'anoncvs')
cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@apache.org:/home/cvspublic co apr-util

> - Tomcat 4.0b6 does not work with Apache out of the box

That is why (among other things) it is beta.

> and cannot be compiled from tarballs (you might be able to build from
> CVS, but that's not an acceptable for us (using beta at all is
worrying)).

If you use beta, you can use CVS - in fact the difference is quite small.
In case of apr-util you can relax. All apr-utils checkouts so far have been
bug-free, and as far as i know - CVS is the only way to get apr-utils. If
you can get your hands on some apr-utils tarball - it will probably be out
of date, as apr-utils are changing fast...

--
Jacek Prucia
7bulls.com S.A.

Re: apr-utils source? (Tomcat 4.0, Apache 1.3, NT, mod_webapp)

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.
I need to fix a couple of late bugs, and fix the build for Windows, once I'm
thru all those, I'll cut a release... I'll keep you (the Mailing List)
posted.

Posted by Andrew Cooke <an...@intertrader.com>.
Thanks!

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Pier P. Fumagalli at pier@betaversion.org wrote:

> Andrew Cooke at andrew@intertrader.com wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying  to get Tomcat 4.0 working on NT with Apache 1.3.
>
> It doesn't work - Don't even bother right now...

(Uh, forgot to mention, on Win32... It works nicely on UNIX!)

    Pier

Re: apr-utils source? (Tomcat 4.0, Apache 1.3, NT, mod_webapp)

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.