Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by dennisdeo81 <de...@rockshore.net> on 2010/11/23 18:07:33 UTC

T5 page request return blank layout under heavy load test

Hi,

I recently have an application develop with tapestry 5.1 deploy on Weblogic
+ oracle database. The pages work well under normal usage but went nuts
after stress testing.

I am using hibernate + spring security module from tapestry on the web page
login, and ramp up 1000 users on the login process. Upon processing 500
users login, the application seems to be "exhausted" and only response the
bare layout as html on all requests(regardless if the request on any page,
css, js  and etc).

Also notice the javascript onDomLoaded is now empty:

Tapestry.onDOMLoaded(function() {
});

Which should normally:

Tapestry.onDOMLoaded(function() {
Tapestry.init({"linkZone":[["forgotPassword","loginZone","/duc/login.forgotpassword"]],"zone":[{"update":"show","element":"loginZone"}]});
});

Also it's running on 4 vcpu, 12G memory server, so it only use nearly 50% of
cpu, 40% or memory, 40 connections to the database whilst the load test.

Anyone have any idea?

Helps are much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Re: T5 page request return blank layout under heavy load test

Posted by dennisdeo81 <de...@rockshore.net>.
Hi Thiago,

Thanks for reply.

I haven't try version 5.2 as I do not want to upgrade the version recklessly
without knowing what is the root cause, and may introduce more errors by the
upgrade. I will leave that to the last option.

Re: T5 page request return blank layout under heavy load test

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 15:07:33 -0200, dennisdeo81 <de...@rockshore.net>
wrote:

> Hi,

Hi!

> I recently have an application develop with tapestry 5.1 deploy on
> Weblogic + oracle database.

Have you tried Tapestry 5.2(.4)? Since the 5.2 alphas, Tapestry doesn't
use a page pool anymore, and this can be a factor when handling lots of
concurrent users. Anyway, this is strange.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
and instructor

Re: T5 page request return blank layout under heavy load test

Posted by dennisdeo81 <de...@rockshore.net>.
Turn out to be "-XX:+UseCompressedOops" cause the problem. Problem solved.

Re: T5 page request return blank layout under heavy load test

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
Three things I'd do (in this order):
1) Find out if it's the container the serving the empty response or
your application (should be very simple to find out - if you can't
tell otherwise for sure, just make a little identifiable change in
your template and see it that's what you get back). As said, I highly
doubt that you are getting a "bare layout".
2) You indicated that only 40% of memory is used. From the looks of
it, I'd say you are hitting a JVM OoM. It happens relatively easily
with 5.1 with a moderate load and tight max memory limit. You have way
more memory on the system available - allocate e.g. -Xmx3072 and see
what happens. If OoM is the issue, you should be able to handle
roughly double the requests.
3) Find the right memory limits and tweak GC settings. The trick is to
find the right limits for the platform. If you allocate too much, the
OS oom killer will step in (assuming you are on Xnix platform) - again
happens fairly easily especially on virtualized platforms (since
there's no swap) near the memory limits even if it seems that there's
free memory available.

Kalle

Posted by dennisdeo81 <de...@rockshore.net>.
Hi Kalle ,

I am not sure if it's serving only the bare layout page or it's empty
response. From the response returned (view with firebug), it seems to be
returning the html (similiar to bare layout) on all requests for pages or
anything requested internally for css or javascript. Also, tracing the logs,
i can't see any log indicate the application is been deployed (weblogic).

Also, when the JVM XDebug is switch on, this issue seems to be resolved on
it's own, with the same load tests run.

I will try to find out what's set on the jvm in the next post.

Any suggestion?

Re: T5 page request return blank layout under heavy load test

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
Are you sure that what you are getting is the bare layout and that the
webapplication is still (somewhat) functional/loaded? Just a wild
guess, but it could be the container serving up an empty response
after undeploying the webapp on out-of-memory-error. Is your JVM set
to handle all of that 12GB of memory? If you haven't explicitly
configured the jvm, I doubt it would. What Xmx etc. params are you
using?

I had a vaguely similar case with a Tapestry app running on Jetty
going belly up when I was posting (lots of!) gzipped xml content to
it. It undeployed after an OoM and started serving a blank response.
The issue was finally tracked down to JVM/Jetty issue (see
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JETTY-1167 and further links).

Kalle