Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com> on 2003/05/19 16:44:11 UTC

RE: [Repost] tomcat/jk2/apache: authentication not taken into account for webapps

At 04:35 PM 5/19/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi Jerome,
>
>Yes, definitely use a <Location> tag for your URLs that are being forwarded
>to Tomcat. Have a look at the online Apache documentation at:
>http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/sections.html
>if you are not sure about the difference, and when each directive should
>be used.
>

>In addition, you might need to make sure that you have set
>
>         tomcatAuthentication="false"
>
>in your Connector definition of your server.xml
>
>In more recent versions of Tomcat (can't remember which version of Tomcat
>4 this changed at),
>if you do not have this set, then your Apache authentication credentials
>will not be visible to your servlet via calls to request.getRemoteUser() -
>they will always be NULL.

Actually, it has *always* been this way if you don't set the
tomcatAuthentication stuff.  However, the difference is that on recent
versions of Tomcat (I think as of Tomcat-4.1.13, you need to set the
following in jk2.properties (even if you are using mod_jk and not jk2)
instead of on the connector in server.xml...

request.tomcatAuthentication=false

Jake

Posted by "Jerome Lacoste @ BBC" <la...@altern.org>.
Jacob Kjome wrote:

> At 04:35 PM 5/19/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>
>> Hi Jerome,
>>
>> Yes, definitely use a <Location> tag for your URLs that are being
>> forwarded
>> to Tomcat. Have a look at the online Apache documentation at:
>> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/sections.html
>> if you are not sure about the difference, and when each directive should
>> be used.
>>

>> In addition, you might need to make sure that you have set
>>
>>         tomcatAuthentication="false"
>>
>> in your Connector definition of your server.xml

OK all thanks for your help. IT seemed like very simple, but I still
don't manage to get it to work...
I've tried and tried all things I could but I am still stuck. I will
then try to describe my environment and the things I tried, hoping that
one of you can find the problem.

My environment:
Software: apache 2.0.45 tomcat 4.1.24 self built mod_jk2
Config (before I started playing with it)
- /etc/tomcat4/jk2.properties is empty (all commented out)
- /etc/tomcat4/server.xml by default contained CoyoteConnector enabled
and Ajp13Connector disabled
- context path is defined in a file called /var/tomcat4/webapps/jira.xml
   where the path maps to the docBase
- authentication for Location to 'secure' is done in a conf file put in
the /etc/httpd/conf.d
  Content is:
<Location /jira>
  AuthType Basic
  AuthName "Access Denied"
  AuthUserFile /var/www/passwd/passwords
  AuthGroupFile /var/www/passwd/groups
</Location>
- workers2.properties (attached)

Things I've tried (different combinations of these things):

- /etc/tomcat4/jk2.properties:
  add request.tomcatAuthentication=false

- /etc/tomcat4/server.xml
   - disable the CoyoteConnector and enable the AjpConnector instead,
adding the tomcatAuthentication="false" parameter

- played with the Location configuration
  - added a trailing slash at the end of the name
   <Location /jira/>

-tried to put some debugging on

Questions:

Is there any URL where I can check that tomcatAuthentication is
correctly disabled?
Is there any URL where I can see if my authentication directive are
taken into account?

I've checked server-status, server-info and jkstatus without finding the
information I am looking for.
Is there any debugging I could enable that could help me find out the
problem?

Cheers,

Jerome