Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch> on 2002/04/25 13:03:40 UTC

Re: urgent help

> Mimi wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Actually I'm trying to connect from a workstation running Ms Windows
> Mellenium to a MacOS.10 runnig Apache as it's web server in a
> LAN.every thing is ok with Apache.I mean I can connect to it via other
> MacOs or through itself as well.The surprising point is that I can
> ping from Me to Mac but I can't connect to it's http port 80 or ftp
> port or telnet.I don't see why!
> By the way I set the tcp/ip protocol in Me and I've assigned an ip
> address to it's ethernet card(192.168.22.2) in the same class as Mac
> Os(192.168.22.1) .Should I add sth else to get it work?U know I'm
> completely confused.I have no idea about the problem.Pls help me solve
> it.

Cn u wrt in fll wrds pls - this is not an SMS site and it makes it
easier for potential respondents to read :-)

My understanding of your message is that you can see the website on the
Mac server via localhost on the Mac or over the LAN from another Mac. So
apache is running OK and the network is probably configured OK on the
server.

>From the Windows ME box, you can ping but cannot telnet, ftp or http to
the Mac server. Note that ping uses ICMP whereas all the others use
TCP/IP so this is not impossible...

I assume you connect the ME box and the two Macs to a hub so they should
all see one another and that there is no router or firewall between the
ME and the hub or Macs. If there is, remove it while you test.

How do you define the Mac server when you try telnet, http etc. from ME?
Do you use the IP address or a server name? If a server name, how does
the ME resolve this name to an IP address? what if you use the IP
address directly?

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.

Re: urgent help

Posted by Hans Juergen von Lengerke <le...@sixt.de>.
Hans Juergen von Lengerke <le...@sixt.de> on Apr 25, 2002:

> Mimi <mo...@hotmail.com> on Apr 25, 2001:
>
> > I telnet to the mac server by ip address like this
> > telnet 192.168.22.1:80
> > error:cannot connect to the remote host.
>
> Maybe its just a type from you but for telnet, don't separate IP and

  type => typo   :-)

Re: urgent help

Posted by Hans Juergen von Lengerke <le...@sixt.de>.
Mimi <mo...@hotmail.com> on Apr 25, 2001:

> I telnet to the mac server by ip address like this
> telnet 192.168.22.1:80
> error:cannot connect to the remote host.

Maybe its just a type from you but for telnet, don't separate IP and
port with a colon, just separate them with a space:

  telnet 192.168.22.1 80

Re: urgent help

Posted by Mimi <mo...@hotmail.com>.
> > Actually I'm trying to connect from a workstation running Ms Windows
> > Mellenium to a MacOS.10 runnig Apache as it's web server in a
> > LAN.every thing is ok with Apache.I mean I can connect to it via other
> > MacOs or through itself as well.The surprising point is that I can
> > ping from Me to Mac but I can't connect to it's http port 80 or ftp
> > port or telnet.I don't see why!
> > By the way I set the tcp/ip protocol in Me and I've assigned an ip
> > address to it's ethernet card(192.168.22.2) in the same class as Mac
> > Os(192.168.22.1) .Should I add sth else to get it work?U know I'm
> > completely confused.I have no idea about the problem.Pls help me solve
> > it.
>
> Cn u wrt in fll wrds pls - this is not an SMS site and it makes it
> easier for potential respondents to read :-)
>
> My understanding of your message is that you can see the website on the
> Mac server via localhost on the Mac or over the LAN from another Mac. So
> apache is running OK and the network is probably configured OK on the
> server.
>
> From the Windows ME box, you can ping but cannot telnet, ftp or http to
> the Mac server. Note that ping uses ICMP whereas all the others use
> TCP/IP so this is not impossible...
>
> I assume you connect the ME box and the two Macs to a hub so they should
> all see one another and that there is no router or firewall between the
> ME and the hub or Macs. If there is, remove it while you test.
>
> How do you define the Mac server when you try telnet, http etc. from ME?
> Do you use the IP address or a server name? If a server name, how does
> the ME resolve this name to an IP address? what if you use the IP
> address directly?
>
> Rgds,
>
> Owen Boyle.

Thank you for your advice.
You understood my problem very well. I've to mention this point that windows
Me station is directly connected to the Mac server by a cross cable.But when
I saw the problem that I couldn't connect to apache through Win Me ,I
replaced it by another Mac os and every thing was ok.so I thought  that it
must be something wrong with the Win Me station.
I telnet to the mac server by ip address like this
telnet 192.168.22.1:80
error:cannot connect to the remote host.

any more advice would be appreciated.
mimi