Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Ethan <eh...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/28 19:50:22 UTC

Schema Changes

Hi,

We change our schema to add new fields 3-4 times a year.  Never modify
existing fields.

Some of my colleagues say it requires re-indexing. Does it?  None of the
existing field has changed.  schema.xml is the only file that s modified.
So what's the point in re-indexing?

Appreciate any insight.

Thanks

Re: Schema Changes

Posted by Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net>.
Hi Ethan,

If the new fields are something that the old documents are also supposed to
contain, you would need to reindex. e.g. in case you add a new copy field
or a new field in general that your raw document contains, you would need
to reindex.
If the new field would only be something that exists in future documents,
you wouldn't need to reindex.

-Anshum

--
Anshum Gupta