Posted to dev@mynewt.apache.org by markus <ma...@bibi.ca> on 2018/05/13 04:02:04 UTC

rfc (stm32) pin descriptor, AF encoding

For the pwm driver I took a stab at a more holistic pin descriptor and
wanted to solicit feedback and opinions.

The core is in mcu.h:
https://github.com/mlampert/mynewt-core/blob/feature/stm32-pwm-enabled/hw/mcu/stm/stm32f7xx/include/mcu/mcu.h

Instead of using a struct data type I decided to go with bit
encoding and macros, for the sole reason of API compatibility. A pin
descriptor with an AF assignment can be passed to any API that accepts
a pin (as long as the type is at least a uint16_t).

For instance, it allows us to fold the functionality of
hal_gpio_init_af into hal_gpio_init_in and hal_gpio_init_out and
eliminate the stm specific api additions.

Assuming the API allows a 32-bit pin type the encoding can be expanded
to pin speed, strength, logic standard (although I haven't seen that in
any of the ARMs - yet)....

The other advantage of a bit encoding is that the entire pin descriptor
can be defined in a single constant:

/* AF=2 of PB7 */
#define PWM_PIN		0x2017
And if the GPIO pin is already defined:
https://github.com/mlampert/mynewt-core/blob/feature/stm32-pwm-enabled/apps/pwm_test/src/main.c#L27

Internal use currently looks something like this:
https://github.com/mlampert/mynewt-core/blob/feature/stm32-pwm-enabled/hw/drivers/pwm/pwm_stm32/src/pwm_stm32.c#L289

with the (stm) hal_gpio refactoring mentioned above that line would
simple become:
   if (hal_gpio_init_out(cfg->pin, 0)) {

I've only implemented this for the stm32f7 in order to reduce the
refactoring effort if we want to go a different direction.

Thoughts? Comments? ...

Re: rfc (stm32) pin descriptor, AF encoding

Posted by marko kiiskila <ma...@runtime.io>.
Quite clever, I like this idea. This will allow us to simplify all
peripheral structures for STM32s a bit.

Posted by Fabio Utzig <ut...@apache.org>.
I like the proposed changes!