Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Andy Wang <aw...@ptc.com> on 2010/07/08 21:48:44 UTC

Multi-byte DN with MS LDAPSDK and Apache

Quite some time ago, one of my colleagues started the following thread:

http://marc.info/?l=apache-httpd-dev&m=121623942300453&w=2
<http://marc.info/?l=apache-httpd-dev&m=121623942300453&w=2>

There was some discussion around the Windows utf-8 codepage and it's
relationship to the local codepage.  Here's Bill Rowe's comment on that:
http://marc.info/?l=apache-httpd-dev&m=121631046012720&w=2
<http://marc.info/?l=apache-httpd-dev&m=121631046012720&w=2>

I think I finally understand it, and at the same time I don't understand
it :).
I've been playing with this recently trying to get this to work, and I
found that if I set the system locale to the same language as the UTF-8
encoded character in LDAP is from it works.  Which makes sense.  The
code page for the system language contains a mapping for the UTF-8
character.

I don't even pretend to understand Windows and/or encoding enough to
truly get this limitation, but is it just some microsoft-ism that limits
UTF-8 character mapping to the default code page?

Does this mean that if you needed to support DNs with multiple languages
that are not all included on a single Windows codepage (that's
associated to a specific language locale) that this would not be
possible on Windows?

Am I even making sense?

Thanks,
Andy

Re: Multi-byte DN with MS LDAPSDK and Apache

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 7/8/2010 2:48 PM, Andy Wang wrote:

> Does this mean that if you needed to support DNs with multiple languages
> that are not all included on a single Windows codepage (that's
> associated to a specific language locale) that this would not be
> possible on Windows?

I'd presume there are ldap_funcW() equivalents which accept unicode (trivial
conversion from utf8) which could be leveraged on win32, but there is noone
right now who is really focused on improving the msldap32 compatibility.