Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Aleksandar Ivanisevic <al...@ivanisevic.de> on 2009/05/25 11:44:15 UTC

multicast discovery and ?group=parameter

http://activemq.apache.org/discovery-transport-reference.html

can someone explain or point to the explanation in the docs about the
group parameter in multicast discovery?

What is the difference between specifying different group and
specifying a different multicast address?

The reason why I'm asking is that I've seen connection attempts to my
broker from clients having multicast://default?group=xxx, although it
has no group parameter in the URI, only multicast://default.

How is this supposed to work? no group means any group or what?

Re: multicast discovery and ?group=parameter

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
the default group name is "default" so a group attribute can override this.
Having no group parameter means that you are in the default group.
The group is used to multiplex on a single multicast address. Using a
different multicast address and the no (or the default) group parameter does
the same thing.
I think the only difference may be operational, if routers need to be
configured to allow more mutilcast packets through.

--
http://blog.garytully.com

Open Source SOA
http://FUSESource.com