Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Patrick Mulligan <pm...@hotmail.com> on 2007/11/06 14:25:32 UTC

JAX-RPC versus JAX-WS

Hi,

We have a jax-rpc client running in a servlet that I want to make talk to a CXF service.  Between these two technologies, I believe is is mostly an API and data binding difference verus a soap/wire difference.  Is this correct?

Anohter way to phrase the question is:  Can I have a jax-rpc client talk to a CXF jax-ws server "wire-wise" with no modifications to the client or server?

thanks.

Re: JAX-RPC versus JAX-WS

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@verizon.net>.
Am Dienstag, den 06.11.2007, 09:27 -0500 schrieb Daniel Kulp:
> On Tuesday 06 November 2007, Patrick Mulligan wrote:
> > Anohter way to phrase the question is:  Can I have a jax-rpc client
> > talk to a CXF jax-ws server "wire-wise" with no modifications to the
> > client or server?
>
> If it's using the wrapped doc/lit style, the answer should be yes.    If
> it's rpc/encoded, the answer is no.

If its RPC/encoded, you can use SAAJ and/or the Dispatch/Provider
interfaces as an alternative.  It is definitely not pleasant but it can
be done.  See here[1] for an example.

Glen

[1] http://www.jroller.com/gmazza/date/20071102

Re: JAX-RPC versus JAX-WS

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Tuesday 06 November 2007, Patrick Mulligan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a jax-rpc client running in a servlet that I want to make talk
> to a CXF service.  Between these two technologies, I believe is is
> mostly an API and data binding difference verus a soap/wire
> difference.  Is this correct?

Well, not always.

The DEFAULT wire format for JAX-RPC is rpc/encoded, which isn't supported
by JAX-WS at all.   JAX-RPC can also support the wrapped doc/lit stuff
which JAX-WS also supports, but the rules around the unwrapping and
stuff are a bit different so the interfaces could look very different.

> Anohter way to phrase the question is:  Can I have a jax-rpc client
> talk to a CXF jax-ws server "wire-wise" with no modifications to the
> client or server?

If it's using the wrapped doc/lit style, the answer should be yes.    If
it's rpc/encoded, the answer is no.

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp