Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com> on 2012/03/30 11:08:25 UTC

Release status

Hi,

I just want to inform you about the release status. Maybe you have
seen the ongoing discussion on the general mailing list about the
inclusion of binary dependencies within source release packages. Sine
we include the OWLAPI JAR in binary form, this is relevant for our
release.

As far as I did understand the arguments it is not possible to include
binaries like this. The reason is that we ship open source software
and binaries are not source. The used Maven dependencies are not part
of the release itself and are only downloaded during the build. The
difference is that the user is responsible for these downloads. Once
we include a binary in a source release, we are responsible.

I have asked on the general list what we should do now in our
situation to find out how to handle dependencies that are not
available at Maven central. Maybe we have to add a note and require
the users to download the OWLAPI JAR themselves prior being able to
compile Stanbol.

Best,
 - Fabian

--
Fabian
http://twitter.com/fctwitt

Re: Release status

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

there is already this open issue for OWL API

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=3514578&group_id=90989&atid=595537

I will try to add a comment and/or stress our interest in this on
their mailing list.

Best,
 - Fabian

--
Fabian
http://twitter.com/fctwitt

Re: Release status

Posted by Alessandro Adamou <ad...@cs.unibo.it>.

Re: Release status

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Olivier Grisel <ol...@ensta.org> wrote:
> ...So I guess it's ok to include binary dependencies in the source
> release of Stanbol (even though I find it ugly :)....

For dependencies that are not (yet) in Maven central (and that we're
allowed to redistribute), another option is to distribute a separate
-dependencies archive.

-Bertrand

Re: Release status

Posted by Olivier Grisel <ol...@ensta.org>.
Le 2 avril 2012 15:10, Reto Bachmann-Gmür <me...@farewellutopia.com> a écrit :
> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Olivier Grisel <ol...@ensta.org>wrote:
>
>> Le 2 avril 2012 11:28, Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com> a
>> écrit :
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Reto pointed me to this document
>> >
>> > http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html#criteriaandcategories
>> >
>> > and since OWL-API is AL20 licensed it is a category A dependency which
>> > may be included "in both source and binary form".
>>
>> Yes but we should not include binaries in a *source* release. It would
>> be fine in a binary distribution of Stanbol.
>>
> Where does his should-level requirement comes from? For category B license
> it is actually recommended to include them only in binary form and the
> primary apache releases are always source releases.

It just made sense to me: when I fetch the source tarball of an open
source project I expect to only have the source of the project and
install the dependencies automatically seperately if the build system
can do it (e.g. maven or ivy in java or pip in python) or install the
manually (e.g. when building a C / C++ project from the source tarball
with ./configure && make && sudo make install).

However, some apache projects do have some jars shipped in their
source distrib: for instance see the content of the lib folder in the
lucene source archive
http://mirror.mkhelif.fr/apache/lucene/java/3.5.0/

Re: Release status

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <me...@farewellutopia.com>.
On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Olivier Grisel <ol...@ensta.org>wrote:

> Le 2 avril 2012 11:28, Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com> a
> écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > Reto pointed me to this document
> >
> > http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html#criteriaandcategories
> >
> > and since OWL-API is AL20 licensed it is a category A dependency which
> > may be included "in both source and binary form".
>
> Yes but we should not include binaries in a *source* release. It would
> be fine in a binary distribution of Stanbol.

Where does his should-level requirement comes from? For category B license
it is actually recommended to include them only in binary form and the
primary apache releases are always source releases.

Cheers,
Reto

Re: Release status

Posted by Olivier Grisel <ol...@ensta.org>.
Le 2 avril 2012 11:28, Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com> a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Reto pointed me to this document
>
> http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html#criteriaandcategories
>
> and since OWL-API is AL20 licensed it is a category A dependency which
> may be included "in both source and binary form".

Yes but we should not include binaries in a *source* release. It would
be fine in a binary distribution of Stanbol.

We can make the build system download such binary dependencies from a
maven repository though. I think this easiest solution would be to
push the ASL licensed OWL-API jars to maven central and then upgrade
our pom to get it from there.

Apparently, project licensed under LGPL + ASL are split into twins
artifacts to handle the license choice explicitly, for instance:

  http://search.maven.org/#search|ga|1|g%3A%22jackson%22

Re: Release status

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,