Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Eli Finkelshteyn <ie...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/03 00:24:44 UTC

Compression codec org.apache.hadoop.io.compress.DeflateCodec not found.

Hi Folks,
A coworker of mine recently setup a new CDH3 cluster with 4 machines (3
data nodes, one namenode that doubles as a jobtracker). I started
looking through it using "hadoop fs -ls," and that went fine with
everything displaying alright. Next, I decided to test out some simple
pig jobs. Each of these worked fine on my development pseudo cluster,
but failed on the new CDH3 cluster with the exact same erro:

*java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Compression codec org.apache.hadoop.io.compress.DeflateCodec not found.

*

This also only happened when trying to process .gz files, and it
happened even when I just tried to load and dump one. I figured this
could be a problem with compression configs being manually overwritten
in core-site.xml, but that file didn't have any mention of compressions
on any of the boxes in the CDH3 cluster. I looked at each box
individually, and all the proper jars seem to be there, so now I'm at a
bit of a loss. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Eli

Re: Compression codec org.apache.hadoop.io.compress.DeflateCodec not found.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Eli,

Moving this to cdh-user@cloudera.org as its a CDH specific question.
You'll get better answers from the community there. You are CC'd but
to subscribe to the CDH users community, head to
https://groups.google.com/a/cloudera.org/forum/#!forum/cdh-user. I've
bcc'd common-user@ here.

What you may be hitting here is caused by version mismatch in client
vs. server. See
https://ccp.cloudera.com/display/CDHDOC/Known+Issues+and+Work+Arounds+in+CDH3#KnownIssuesandWorkAroundsinCDH3-Pig
(Point #2, but it may not be just Pig/Hive-specific)

--
Harsh J