Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Andrus <ee...@online.ee> on 2003/04/04 22:07:03 UTC

[users@httpd] IE6+Adobe Reader 5 will not open a PDF File from CGI app

I created a PDF file (mypdf.pdf) in a CGI app and want to display it in
browser.

I return the following data from my CGI application:

Location: /myloc/mypdf.pdf

Results observed:

 [v] show PDF in browser checkbox is selected in Adobe PDF reader 5 :

         Empty screen without any error appers. Access log shows that Apache
reads pdf file
          put browse does not show it.

 [ ] show PDF in browser checkbox is not selected in Adobe PDF reader 5 :

        As save dialog appers in IE 6. It is possible to save a PDF, not to
open.

Typing   /myloc/mypdf.pdf in browser command line shows PDF OK.

I thin Apache sends http headers which causes IE not no allow open a pdf
file.

Is it possible to show or open PDF in browser using Apache ?

Environment:

Apache/2.0.44 (Win32) Server
Windows 98
IE 6
Adobe Acrobat Reader 5

Re: [users@httpd] IE6+Adobe Reader 5 will not open a PDF File from CGI app

Posted by Sebastian Wolfgarten <se...@gmx.net>.
Hi Andrus,

I have had exact the same problem: I wrote an output filter which converts
text/html data to pdf files on the fly and it worked fine with Netscape but I
never got it working proably with IE. If you get it running, please drop
me a line. See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305153
for a description. In my case IE did not try to save the pdf file but showed
a blank page.

Bye,
Sebastian

Re: [users@httpd] IE6+Adobe Reader 5 will not open a PDF File from CGI app

Posted by Andrus <ee...@online.ee>.
Sebastian,

I create PDF files using Ghostscript+IE 6 + Adobe PDF reader 5 + My own open
source web server .
In this case PDF files will display inside IE 6 window!

If I change web server to Apache 2.0.44 and use CGI script, IE 6 does not
display PDF inside its window.
It also does not allow to open PDF, only to save. This is VERY inconvenient.

So IE 6 is capable to open PDF files. I think this is a Apache or CGI
problem.
Where is this IE bug/feature described ?

Andrus.