Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Charles Gregory <cg...@hwcn.org> on 2010/04/28 18:41:52 UTC

How many Froms?

Hiyo!

Occasionally I see an e-mail with multiple addresses on the 'From:'
header. (not the envelope)

Can anyone think of legitimate uses for multiple From: addresses?
Or could I just use a rule like:

header From =~ /\@.*\@/

- C

Re: [sa] Re: How many Froms?

Posted by Charles Gregory <cg...@hwcn.org>.
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010, David B Funk wrote:
> There's an easy fix for that FP, just use the 'From:addr =~ '
> varient of the header rule. That ignores the "comment" part
> of the 'From:' address and only examines the stuff inside
> the '<bl...@blah.blah>' part.

Avoid FP, yes, but also avoid the live header that is triggering the rule,
which was *not* formatted with "<...>".

I guess I'll just test for *3* '@'s....

- C

Re: How many Froms?

Posted by Bowie Bailey <Bo...@BUC.com>.
David B Funk wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2010, Frank Heydlauf wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 08:05:27PM +0100, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>>
> [snip..]

>> This regex matches i.e.
>>
>> From: user@example.com <us...@example.com>
>>
>> which is a common "auto expansion" of many MUAs when
>> no sender real-name is configured.
>> Just try on your on mailfolder.
>>

> There's an easy fix for that FP, just use the 'From:addr =~ '
> varient of the header rule. That ignores the "comment" part
> of the 'From:' address and only examines the stuff inside
> the '<bl...@blah.blah>' part.

But it also only gives you the first email address...

--
Bowie

Re: How many Froms?

Posted by David B Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010, Frank Heydlauf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 08:05:27PM +0100, Martin Gregorie wrote:
[snip..]
> >> Or could I just use a rule like:
> >>
> >> header From =~ /\@.*\@/
>
> This regex matches i.e.
>
> From: user@example.com <us...@example.com>
>
> which is a common "auto expansion" of many MUAs when
> no sender real-name is configured.
> Just try on your on mailfolder.

There's an easy fix for that FP, just use the 'From:addr =~ '
varient of the header rule. That ignores the "comment" part
of the 'From:' address and only examines the stuff inside
the '<bl...@blah.blah>' part.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Re: How many Froms?

Posted by Frank Heydlauf <fh...@lf.net>.
Hi,

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 08:05:27PM +0100, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> Having said that, I can't remember seeing multiple addresses on a From:
> header or a Sender: header.

I have plenty of them in my mailfolder - but not formated in
the way you thought about, regarding your cite of RFC822.

>On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 12:41:52PM -0400, Charles Gregory wrote:
>> Or could I just use a rule like:
>>
>> header From =~ /\@.*\@/

This regex matches i.e.

Re: How many Froms?

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.
On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 12:41 -0400, Charles Gregory wrote:

> Occasionally I see an e-mail with multiple addresses on the 'From:'
> header. (not the envelope)

Do these messages also contain a 'Sender:' header? According to RFC 822
they should do so.

> Can anyone think of legitimate uses for multiple From: addresses?
> Or could I just use a rule like:

See RFC822, which allows a message to have multiple authors. It also
says that if 'From:' lists more than one author then a 'Sender:' header
must be present and that the address in the 'Sender:' header need not
be one of thoise listed in the 'From:' header.

Having said that, I can't remember seeing multiple addresses on a From:
header or a Sender: header.

Martin