Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Harish Mallipeddi <ha...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/03 14:50:14 UTC

Difference between "Killed Task Attempts" and "Killed Tasks"

Hi,

Anyone can tell me what's the difference between "Killed Task Attempts" and
"Killed Tasks"? I ran a big job (14820 maps and 0 reduces). In the
job-details page, the web GUI reports 62 "killed task attempts". I'm
assuming this is due to "speculative execution". Now when I go to the
job-history page for the job, it reports 54 "killed tasks" (and 14820
successful map-tasks as expected).

A few questions:

* Why 62 killed task attempts vs 54 killed tasks?
* Under speculative execution, does hadoop launch a new MapTask with new
task-id or does it just launch a new MapTaskAttempt with a new
task-attempt-id?
* When a MapTaskAttempt fails, and when hadoop tries to re-launch the
MapTask, does it create a new task-id or just a new task-attempt-id?
* Does 'mapred.map.max.attempts' include all attempts launched due to
speculative-execution?

Btw this job is basically a trivial no-op job - it just scans around 1TB of
data and does nothing else in the map. I looked at the killed tasks' syslog
output and I didn't see any errors.

--
Harish Mallipeddi
http://blog.poundbang.in

Re: Difference between "Killed Task Attempts" and "Killed Tasks"

Posted by Jason Venner <ja...@gmail.com>.
You only get the killed tasks, when speculative execution is enabled, when
one of a pair of identical tasks are running, finishes, the other task is
killed, but it is not considered an attempt.

Posted by Harish Mallipeddi <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enis Soztutar <en...@gmail.com>.
Hi,