Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2007/06/19 03:39:27 UTC

mod_proxy_balancer

I'm contemplating the docs for mod_proxy_balancer, and finding them
quite inscrutable. Not only do they lack any actual example
configurations, but they hint at fancy configurations, without giving
any hint as to how to actually accomplish them. Clearly, some of my
confusion stems from the fact that BalancerMember is a directive of
mod_proxy, not mod_proxy_balancer -- or at least, according to server-
info it is -- but it's not listed in the mod_proxy documentation.
Indeed, it doesn't seem to be listed at all in the 2.2 documentation
under any module.

Can someone set me straight? I have some functional examples from
various tutorials, but it would be really nice to have working
examples in the documentation, rather than vague allusions to cool
functionality. This is a wonderful module, and we need to help people
use it.

Who should I be speaking with, and is he/she on this list?

--
We are here and it is now.
Further than that all human knowledge is moonshine.

Re: mod_proxy_balancer

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Jun 22, 2007, at 03:39, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On 6/18/07, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>> Can someone set me straight? I have some functional examples from
>> various tutorials, but it would be really nice to have working
>> examples in the documentation, rather than vague allusions to cool
>> functionality. This is a wonderful module, and we need to help people
>> use it.
>>
>> Who should I be speaking with, and is he/she on this list?
>
> If it's helpful, my slides from last years' OSCON talk on mod_proxy
> are on my site:
>
> http://www.erenkrantz.com/oscon/OSCON%202006%20Apache%20mod_proxy.pdf
>
> Feel free to borrow whatever you'd like from there or link to it or
> whatever.

Ok, I'll use that as a starting point.

--
http://feathercast.org/

Re: mod_proxy_balancer

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On 6/18/07, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> Can someone set me straight? I have some functional examples from
> various tutorials, but it would be really nice to have working
> examples in the documentation, rather than vague allusions to cool
> functionality. This is a wonderful module, and we need to help people
> use it.
>
> Who should I be speaking with, and is he/she on this list?

If it's helpful, my slides from last years' OSCON talk on mod_proxy
are on my site:

http://www.erenkrantz.com/oscon/OSCON%202006%20Apache%20mod_proxy.pdf

Feel free to borrow whatever you'd like from there or link to it or whatever.

Go crazy.  -- justin

Re: mod_proxy_balancer

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

On 06/19/2007 11:48 AM, Nóirín Plunkett wrote:
> On 6/19/07, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>

>> I'm contemplating the docs for mod_proxy_balancer, and finding them
>> quite inscrutable. Not only do they lack any actual example
>> configurations, but they hint at fancy configurations, without giving
>> any hint as to how to actually accomplish them. Clearly, some of my
>> confusion stems from the fact that BalancerMember is a directive of
>> mod_proxy, not mod_proxy_balancer -- or at least, according to server-
>> info it is -- but it's not listed in the mod_proxy documentation.
>> Indeed, it doesn't seem to be listed at all in the 2.2 documentation
>> under any module.
>

> This is because I'm a bad person/got very confused[1], and then got
> distracted, and never remembered to backport the fix to trunk (r515251, I
> think)
>
> I also never got much further than is in that commit, in terms of useful
> documentation/examples.
>

>> Can someone set me straight? I have some functional examples from
>> various tutorials, but it would be really nice to have working
>> examples in the documentation, rather than vague allusions to cool
>> functionality. This is a wonderful module, and we need to help people
>> use it.
>>
>> Who should I be speaking with, and is he/she on this list?
>

> It does look to be a rather funky feature - Colm knows a good bit about it,
> but what I've managed to get from him makes it sound a little like a new
> mod_rewrite[2]!

I am also partly to blame for this as I worked on its code without taking care
to extend the documentation accordingly. So it has a lot of "hidden" features
and an less then optimal documentation.

The following threads from dev in the past days are some examples:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-dev/200706.mbox/%3c4673FEA8.9000303@apache.org%3e
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-dev/200706.mbox/%3c370D364C-5F96-45D4-9D01-BA50139C50EC@e-tunity.com%3e
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-dev/200706.mbox/%3c3B21A253728EA247A10A692547A271538DCBB5@EITO-MBX03.internal.vodafone.com%3e

So Rich, Noirin if you want to work on this documentation this would be really great.
Feel free to bug me with questions about it and I try to do my very best to help this way
to improve the documentation.

Regards

Rüdiger (being lousy and lazy writing documentation)

Re: mod_proxy_balancer

Posted by Nóirín Plunkett <no...@apache.org>.
On 6/19/07, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> I'm contemplating the docs for mod_proxy_balancer, and finding them
> quite inscrutable. Not only do they lack any actual example
> configurations, but they hint at fancy configurations, without giving
> any hint as to how to actually accomplish them. Clearly, some of my
> confusion stems from the fact that BalancerMember is a directive of
> mod_proxy, not mod_proxy_balancer -- or at least, according to server-
> info it is -- but it's not listed in the mod_proxy documentation.
> Indeed, it doesn't seem to be listed at all in the 2.2 documentation
> under any module.

This is because I'm a bad person/got very confused[1], and then got
distracted, and never remembered to backport the fix to trunk (r515251, I
think)

I also never got much further than is in that commit, in terms of useful
documentation/examples.

> Can someone set me straight? I have some functional examples from
> various tutorials, but it would be really nice to have working
> examples in the documentation, rather than vague allusions to cool
> functionality. This is a wonderful module, and we need to help people
> use it.
>
> Who should I be speaking with, and is he/she on this list?

It does look to be a rather funky feature - Colm knows a good bit about it,
but what I've managed to get from him makes it sound a little like a new
mod_rewrite[2]!

Noirin

[1] Pick one
[2] Voodoo. Very cool voodoo, but voodoo nonetheless.