Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Petr Sumbera <Pe...@Sun.COM> on 2008/09/18 17:19:29 UTC

Re: What happened with Apache2::Reload in mod_perl-2.0.4?

Hi,

can you please explain how should I understand this thread?
Will mod_perl 2.0.5 contain Apache2::Reload again? Or I misunderstand
it? It's not in trunk. When will be 2.0.5 out?

Thanks,

Petr

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
Fred Moyer wrote:
>> Well, it's packaging one. If we update package with mod_perl2 users
>> who are using Apache2::Reload will have problem.
As do FreeBSD ports, I've modified www/p5-Apache-Reload and
www/mod_perl2 to be aware of this short coming and it should/does work fine.

I'll remove that when we release 2.0.5.

Re: What happened with Apache2::Reload in mod_perl-2.0.4?

Posted by Fred Moyer <fr...@redhotpenguin.com>.
Petr Sumbera wrote:
> Fred Moyer wrote:
>> Petr Sumbera wrote:

>>> I'm concerned with compatibility. Shouldn't be this released as soon
>>> as possible?
>>
>> Can you elaborate on your compatibility concerns?  You have a huge
>> list of mod_perl developers here to help you out :)
>>
>> I know that every time resource locations change there is a certain
>> amount of work users have to do to adapt.  But the developers also
>> need feedback - thank you for providing it.
>
> Well, it's packaging one. If we update package with mod_perl2 users who
> are using Apache2::Reload will have problem.
>
> Petr

I'm not following what issue you are seeing here, but I install
everything from source so the issues you are referring to I probably
haven't run into.

Re: What happened with Apache2::Reload in mod_perl-2.0.4?

Posted by Petr Sumbera <Pe...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/modperl/trunk/lib/Apache2/
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/Apache-Reload/trunk/

$ svn info lib/Apache2/Reload.pm
Repository Root: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf
Repository UUID: 13f79535-47bb-0310-9956-ffa450edef68
Revision: 712936
Node Kind: file
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: phred
Last Changed Rev: 631338
Last Changed Date: 2008-02-26 14:06:00 -0500 (Tue, 26 Feb 2008)
Text Last Updated: 2008-11-10 23:25:52 -0500 (Mon, 10 Nov 2008)
Checksum: 79778254a414202f1b91184dcab6a85e

Consultant          - P6M7G8 Inc.                http://p6m7g8.net
Senior Sys Admin    - RideCharge, Inc.           http://ridecharge.com
Contractor          - PositiveEnergyUSA          http://positiveenergyusa.com
ASF Member          - Apache Software Foundation http://apache.org
FreeBSD Committer   - FreeBSD Foundation         http://freebsd.org

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.

Re: What happened with Apache2::Reload in mod_perl-2.0.4?

Posted by Petr Sumbera <Pe...@Sun.COM>.
Any idea where I can get up to date man page for Apache2::Reload?

Thanks,

Petr

Posted by Fred Moyer <fr...@redhotpenguin.com>.
Petr Sumbera wrote:
> Fred Moyer wrote:
>> Petr Sumbera wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> can you please explain how should I understand this thread?
>>> Will mod_perl 2.0.5 contain Apache2::Reload again? Or I misunderstand
>>> it? It's not in trunk. When will be 2.0.5 out?
>>
>> It should be in trunk if you did an svn checkout.
>
> I don't see Reload.pm anywhere.
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/modperl/trunk/lib/Apache2/

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/Apache-Reload/trunk/

For comparison, mod_perl trunk is at

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/modperl/trunk/

>> I don't think a date has been set for 2.0.5, but given that ApacheCon
>> is in early November I'm guessing that a good bit of hacking will get
>> done there and a release would be likely to happen around then.
>
> I'm concerned with compatibility. Shouldn't be this released as soon as
> possible?

Can you elaborate on your compatibility concerns?  You have a huge list
of mod_perl developers here to help you out :)

I know that every time resource locations change there is a certain
amount of work users have to do to adapt.  But the developers also need
feedback - thank you for providing it.

> Thanks,
>
> Petr
>
>>> Fred Moyer wrote:
>>>  > Geoffrey Young wrote:
>>>  >>
>>>  >> Fred Moyer wrote:
>>>  >>> Niels van Dijke wrote:
>>>  >>>> Hi mod_perl maintainers,
>>>  >>>>
>>>  >>>> Thank you for releasing mod_perl 2.0.4.
>>>  >>>>
>>>  >>>> I was wondering what happened to Apache2::Reload? Was it missed in
>>>  >>>> packaging for the upload to CPAN? If so then there may be other
>>> files
>>>  >>>> missing too.
>>>  >>> See the Changelog:
>>>  >>>
>>>  >>> Apache2::Reload has been moved to an externally maintained
>>>  >>> CPAN distribution
>>>  >>>
>>>  >>> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Apache-Reload-0.10/
>>>  >> hmm...
>>>  >>
>>>  >> I can't remember if I knew this or not, but we probably ought to
>>> treat
>>>  >> this like Apache-Test: keep bundling it with releases _and_ maintain
>>>  >> something separate on CPAN.
>>>  > That's on the radar for 2.0.5, along with Apache::SizeLimit, to
>>> bundle
>>>  > using svn:external.  Phillip Gollucci brought this up about a
>>> month ago
>>>  > or so, and I started to move on it but Gozer brought up a number of
>>>  > things that had to be done to make this happen and the works with
>>> 5.10
>>>  > release was pressing at that point.
>>>  >
>>>  > Don't worry, I won't forget about it :)

Red Hot Penguin Consulting LLC
mod_perl/PostgreSQL consulting and implementation
http://www.redhotpenguin.com/

Re: What happened with Apache2::Reload in mod_perl-2.0.4?

Posted by Petr Sumbera <Pe...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Fred Moyer <fr...@redhotpenguin.com>.