Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Masatake Iwasaki <iw...@oss.nttdata.co.jp> on 2021/11/22 04:24:50 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release plan of Bigtop 3.1

Hi team,

I filed BIGTOP-3605 as a starting point of discussion.

I propose to release Bigtop 3.1 shortly after Hadoop 3.2.3 is released.
We can bump Hadoop to 3.3 (or later) on Bigtop 3.2.

* Bumping to Hadoop 3.3 is big change. Providing Hadoop 3.2.3 containing
   almost 300 fixes from 3.2.2 could be useful for users of Bigtop 3.0.

* HBase 2.2.6 and Kafka 2.4.1 are bit old releases.
   We can upgrade them by bumping ZooKeeper to 3.5.

I will appreciate your feedback on BIGTOP-3605 or this thread.

Thanks,
Masatake Iwasaki

Re: [DISCUSS] Release plan of Bigtop 3.1

Posted by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Masatake,

one thing that I'd be worried about from an admin/operator point of
view is a potential double upgrade for Bigtop 3.1, namely Zookeper
first and then Hadoop (plus other services if needed). In my case, we
would probably keep relying on Debian's zookeeper packages (3.4) since
we don't use Hbase and we have our own version of Kafka packaged, but
others relying on Bigtop's zookeeper packages may need to upgrade them
as well. Nothing major, but I would highlight this thing in the
release notes, so people can plan upgrades accordingly. In my
experience planning a Bigtop upgrade, even a minor version, takes time
and a lot of testing :)

Hope it makes sense!

Luca

Posted by Evans Ye <ev...@apache.org>.
Overall the release plan is good and +1 to releasing 3.1.

While "release early release often" is a good practice, I'm not sure
whether the CI infra account migration has been done? Doing migration
during release might add a bit more complexity.

Masatake Iwasaki <iw...@oss.nttdata.co.jp> 於 2021年11月22日 週一 下午12:25寫道: