Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Anatoliy Kats <a....@rambler-co.ru> on 2011/11/29 10:32:39 UTC

Time-based preferences for recommendation

Hi,

There was a conversation some time ago about incorporating time
dependency for preferences:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.mahout.user/2951

Has there been any more discussion about this?  Has anything been
checked into Mahout?  Is anyone working on it?  I might be able to pitch in.

Thanks,

Anatoliy

Re: Time-based preferences for recommendation

Posted by Anatoliy Kats <a....@rambler-co.ru>.
Ah wow, thanks for that list.  I will take a look at some of those
within the next couple of weeks.

Posted by Christoph Hermann <ch...@guschtel.de>.

Posted by Anatoliy Kats <a....@rambler-co.ru>.
Hi Manuel,

Thank you for the reference.  I am just testing the waters for now,
trying to find out what's available.  I should have a usecase in a
couple of weeks.  I'll reread what's said here then, and continue the
thread.

Cheers,

Anatoliy

Posted by Dan Brickley <da...@danbri.org>.
On 29 November 2011 16:11, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The deanonymization attacks depend on some aspect of the data being related
> to real-world events or products.  The attack on the netflix data depended
> on the movies being identified so that ratings could be correlated to
> ratings on other systems.
>
> If you blind product id's and user id's then none of the currently known
> attacks are likely to work.
>
> But I respect the limits you describe.  Caution is never such a bad thing
> in these matters.

+1 ... data leaks in expected ways. Random aside: in the Netherlands
currently, Albert Heijn, a major supermarket chain, give away key tags
with a loyalty barcode printed on them. If you enter the code from the
keytag (properly, your own; but maybe you see colleagues and friends
keyring from time to time...) into http://www.ah.nl/appie you get that
person's shopping history ordered by favourites, most recent
purchases. Although as Ted says this only unlocks half the puzzle, ...

Dan

Re: Time-based preferences for recommendation

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
The deanonymization attacks depend on some aspect of the data being related
to real-world events or products.  The attack on the netflix data depended
on the movies being identified so that ratings could be correlated to
ratings on other systems.

If you blind product id's and user id's then none of the currently known
attacks are likely to work.

But I respect the limits you describe.  Caution is never such a bad thing
in these matters.

Posted by Manuel Blechschmidt <Ma...@gmx.de>.
Hi Ted,
I agree with you. I would love to release it.

Unfortunately it is not my data therefore I can not just release it to public not even anonymized. If someone is willing to contribute new algorithms I can release anonymized data sets on a personal basis.

The problem is that there are quite reliable ways to deanonymize data in a reliable way [1]. Further this is also used [2].

Germany is a lot more restricted about privacy laws.

So if someone is interested in using my dataset send me an email.

/Manuel

[1] Narayanan, Arvind ; Shmatikov, Vitaly: Robust De-anonymization of Large Sparse Datasets. In: Proceedings of the 2008 IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy. Washington, DC, USA : IEEE Computer Society, 2008. – ISBN 978–0– 7695–3168–7, 111–125
[2] Barbaro, Michael ; Jr., Tom Z.: A Face Is Exposed for AOL Searcher No. 4417749. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/09/technology/09aol.html?_r=1. Version: August 2006, Checked: 2011-03-09
[3] http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/12/netflix-privacy-lawsuit/

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Manuel,

Posted by Manuel Blechschmidt <Ma...@gmx.de>.
Hello Anatoliy,

On 29.11.2011, at 10:32, Anatoliy Kats wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There was a conversation some time ago about incorporating time dependency for preferences: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.mahout.user/2951
>
> Has there been any more discussion about this?  Has anything been checked into Mahout?  Is anyone working on it?  I might be able to pitch in.

I am currently working with a data set which has highly seasonal data. Actually it is the sales data of a merchant selling tea and spices.

I benchmarked the different recommenders against it:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.mahout.user/10433

As far as I know there are currently no recommenders that incorporate time or seasons. The DataModel supports it but it isn't used.

I would guess that identifying seasonal patterns could enhance my recommendations a lot.

I scanned the following paper:
Improving E-Commerce Recommender Systems by the Identification of Seasonal Products
http://www.aaai.org/Papers/Workshops/2007/WS-07-08/WS07-08-011.pdf

Actually I think that what the paper is doing is not that advanced.

I currently try to identify seasonal products with R. I am playing around with seasonal ARIMA models (http://www.duke.edu/~rnau/seasarim.htm http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/forecast/forecast.pdf). If I have a working solution with R I might implement it in Mahout.

What is your use case? Do you already have a data set?

> Thanks,
>
> Anatoliy

/Manuel