Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2005/07/13 06:17:03 UTC

Incubation progress of JDO podling

Hi,

As being an observer in the JDO incubating project, I want to let other
members of the Incubator to know that;

1. The collaboration aspect of the technical sides has been handled perfectly.
Jira issues are posted, mailing list are used to discuss various approaches,
consensus styled decisions and a high rate of progress.

2. Community-wise things are slightly less rosy. The people at Sun and
Tech@Spree are doing a great job on pushing the technical side of this
project, but probably uncertain on how to engage more people effectively. I
think the immense speed of the project is probably a deterent, and not really
a fault of the project or people in it per se. Also, I think the effective
split with the sister project jpox.org, is making the participation looking
smaller than it really is.

Craig, Michelle, Michael^2 and everyone else; I think you have adjusted well
to the Apache Way (after a shaky start :o)  ) and keep up the good work.
Please note that from a Incubator graduation point of view, finishing the
"product" is secondary. Getting more helping hands from a diversity of people
is priority.

Other important items missing;

 * The Incubator project page does not contain the JDO project. (Is that the
responsibility of the incubating project or the Incubator?)

 * There is no STATUS file produced. It should go into
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/site-publish/projects/

I hope this will further the incubating process of this exciting project :o)

Cheers
Niclas Hedhman

Re: Incubation progress of JDO podling

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Jul 12, 2005, at 9:17 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Other important items missing;
>
>  * The Incubator project page does not contain the JDO project.
>  (Is that the
> responsibility of the incubating project or the Incubator?)

It is the responsibility of the incubating project and its mentor.
The incubator is just the place where we work, not some other group
of people.

>  * There is no STATUS file produced. It should go into
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/site-publish/
> projects/

Yeah, it sure would be a bummer if I had to delete the subversion
module just because we don't have enough evidence of provenance.
Somebody should make that a priority real soon.

....Roy

Re: Incubation progress of JDO podling

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.