Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Ryan Abernathey <ry...@gmail.com> on 2022/06/08 14:22:41 UTC

Join a meeting to help coordinate implementing a Dask Runner for Beam

Dear Beamer,

Thank you for all of your work on this amazing project. I am new to Beam
and am quite excited about its potential to help with some data processing
challenges in my field of climate science.

Our community is interested in running Beam on Dask Distributed clusters,
which we already know how to deploy. This has been discussed at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-5336 and
https://github.com/apache/beam/issues/18962. It seems technically feasible.

We are trying to organize a meeting next week to kickstart and coordinate
this effort. It would be great if we could entrain some Beam maintainers
into this meeting. If you have interest in this topic and are available
next week, please share your availability here -
https://www.when2meet.com/?15861604-jLnA4

Alternatively, if you have any guidance or suggestions you wish to provide
by email or GitHub discussion, we welcome your input.

Thanks again for your open source work.

Best,
Ryan Abernathey

Re: Join a meeting to help coordinate implementing a Dask Runner for Beam

Posted by Brian Hulette via dev <de...@beam.apache.org>.
I wanted to share that Ryan gave a presentation about his (and Charles')
work on Pangeo Forge at Scipy 2022 (in Austin just before Beam Summit!),
with a couple mentions of their transition to Beam [1]. There were also a
couple of other talks about Pangeo [2,3] with some Beam/xarray-beam
references in there.

[1]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY20UpYCAEE&list=PLYx7XA2nY5Gde0WF1yswQw5InhmSNED8o&index=9
[2]