Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2012/12/16 13:42:58 UTC

[VOTE] Release Commons Math 3.1

Hi.

Please have a look at the Commons Math 3.1 release candidate.

Note about the web site: I've now found that the problem reported in
originates from not updating
  src/site/site.xml
For this RC, I manually changed the "index.html" in the staging area (so
that the site will have the link to the new apidocs named correctly).
As this does not touch the artefacts, I hope that this small glitch[1] will
not require a new RC.[2]

----------
Tag:
  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/tags/MATH_3_1_RC1/

Site:
  http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.1/RC1/

Binaries:
  https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-023/org/apache/commons/commons-math3/3.1/

[ ] +1 Release it.
[ ] +0 Go ahead; I don't care.
[ ] -0 There are a few minor glitches: ...
[ ] -1 No, do not release it because ...

This vote will close in 72 hours.
----------

Thanks,
Gilles

[1] That is: the tag's "src/site/site.xml" file does not produce the correct
    "index.html" file (as it is now in the staging area).
[2] It takes almost 4 hours to run "mvn site" (on a quite recent machine)
    because of the sluggishness of the "test" target under Cobertura.

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Math 3.1

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 10:51:27AM -0500, Gary Gregory wrote:
> A couple of the RAT missing license issues could be fixed, I'm
> thinking that the properties files should be done. CSVs are
> questionable as not all CSV parsers know about comments.

Only unit test files, or data files for unit tests are concerned.
IIRC, you also raised that issue last time (3.0) but it was not considered a
blocker. We should have taken care of updating all the missing licenses;
sorry for that. Perhaps you could file a report JIRA, so that we don't
forget to deal with it next time.

Thanks,
Gilles

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 04:51:25PM +0100, Thomas Neidhart wrote:
> On 12/16/2012 04:39 PM, Gilles Sadowski wrote:

> >> It is just a minor thing, but I found it in one of the release guides. I
> >> think most of the releases have missed it so far. The scm links should
> >> be updated to the final release tag, e.g.:
> >>
> >>   <scm>
> >>
> >> <connection>scm:svn:http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/tags/MATH_3_1</connection>
> >>
> >> <developerConnection>scm:svn:https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/tags/MATH_3_1</developerConnection>
> >>
> >> <url>http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/math/tags/MATH_3_1</url>
> >>   </scm>
> >>
> >> I do not think it is a blocker, but when you prepare the next RC you
> >> could also adapt these links.
> >
> > It was not in my release recipe (and probably not in "UsingNexus" on which I
> > based my previous, and first, attempt to prepare a release). So I'll wait
> > for a rationale. [IMHO, and IIUC (which is not sure of course), in CM, there
> > is reason not to point people to a tag...]
>
> It is in the UsingNexus guide, section Create the SVN tags (Manual method):

> Edit the SCM entries in the parent POM. Note: use the final tag, without
> any RC suffix
>
> But again, I do not think it is a blocker in any way, I checked many
> other releases and most of them have the link to the latest trunk there.

I don't understand how that change would be useful in any way.
None of the CM releases has those links pointing to something other than
"trunk".

[The reason I wrote another "release recipe" was that because the
"UsingNexus" file contains so many outdated, unnecessarily complicated,
half-explained or incomplete (thus non-working) stuff...
As I said last time, it is useless for everyone: for the expert (who doesn't
need it) and for the newbie (because it simply does not provide a fail-safe
route to the release).]

Regards,
Gilles

P.S. I've updated my local version of the "release mini-howto".
     Any objection to committing it to the CM's trunk?

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Math 3.1

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.
On 12/16/2012 04:39 PM, Gilles Sadowski wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 04:09:54PM +0100, Thomas Neidhart wrote:

>>> I agree that in the first instances, no change should have been done (the
>>> more so that they are modifications of deprecated methods).
>>>
>>> The last two are false positives, for some unknown reason.

>>> Done.

>>> Done. (Look at the date! ;-)

>>> I don't quite understand this one. [IIUC, I don't see why those should be
>>> adapted to the tag (which is not supposed to be changed).]
>>> If someone thinks that this is really a release blocker, please give an
>>> explanation on the reason (and the right way to update it).
>>
>> It is just a minor thing, but I found it in one of the release guides. I
>> think most of the releases have missed it so far. The scm links should
>> be updated to the final release tag, e.g.:
>>
>>   <scm>
>>
>> <connection>scm:svn:http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/tags/MATH_3_1</connection>
>>
>> <developerConnection>scm:svn:https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/tags/MATH_3_1</developerConnection>
>>
>> <url>http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/math/tags/MATH_3_1</url>
>>   </scm>
>>
>> I do not think it is a blocker, but when you prepare the next RC you
>> could also adapt these links.
>
> It was not in my release recipe (and probably not in "UsingNexus" on which I
> based my previous, and first, attempt to prepare a release). So I'll wait
> for a rationale. [IMHO, and IIUC (which is not sure of course), in CM, there
> is reason not to point people to a tag...]

It is in the UsingNexus guide, section Create the SVN tags (Manual method):

Edit the SCM entries in the parent POM. Note: use the final tag, without
any RC suffix

But again, I do not think it is a blocker in any way, I checked many
other releases and most of them have the link to the latest trunk there.

Thomas

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Math 3.1

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.

[CANCEL][VOTE] Release Commons Math 3.1

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
The vote on RC1 has been cancelled.
Please vote on RC2 (see separate message).