Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sriram N <sr...@yahoo.com> on 2002/09/08 04:48:24 UTC

On Resin, Tomcat and Apache.

Hi all,

I saw the past few days' posts on resin vs tomcat, and tomcat vs apache.

I just went over to resin's site, and here's what they have to say:

"
Resin includes a full-featured HTTP/1.1 web server dedicated to serving fast
Java dynamic content. While Resin is tuned for dynamic content, its static file
performance matches or beats Apache's static performance. Many, if not most,
sites will use Resin's web server for all their web server requests.
"

But if you go over to "http://www.caucho.com/articles/jsp_benchmarks.xtp",
which is available as a link on the same page, you'll notice that they're
talking only about serving JSPs. And they use JDK 1.1.7, and they compare with
JServ, and not Tomcat.

I can't comment on JServ, since I'd used it for just day before I discovered
Tomcat.

I remember coming across a post by Craig (in either of Tomcat-user or
Tomcat-dev) that with today's JDKs reflection etc is very fast, and Tomcat by
itself is very fast.

For a web-solution that we gave to a bank, I built a app that contained
Embedded Tomcat 4.0.1, and the customers are satisfied with the performance.
And with the new Jasper and the whole lot of improvements that have been, I'd
say that Tomcat today is much more improved than what it was a year ago.

Sriram