Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by Jim Wissner <ji...@jbrix.org> on 2002/11/03 08:00:13 UTC

servlet issues

Hi,

I am a newbie to this list.  I've been working with Xindice 1.0 for a few
days now, having been researching my options for an XML server for an
open-source GUI framework (basically the options have been Xindice vs
eXist).  Size and simplicity have been big factors.  So far I am leaning
heavily towards Xindice.  I've written a SOAP servlet and client library
for 1.0, and after realizing that I need more work to complete it, and
digging farther into the code, I decided to look for a CVS snapshot.  I am
happy I found it, because I now see how much work has been done.  (Side
note - you all should REALLY make it easier for people to find your latest
work! ;)

Anyway I've checked out 1.1b as of tonight, and built everything fine,
deployed to tomcat, but get a NoClassDefFoundError upon trying to contact
the servlet.  There is no trace into any Xindice code. Tomcat has been
working fine with many other web apps, so I don't think it's a tomcat
issue.  So my question is -  is this likely just a problem with the state
of the xml-rpc servlet?  Or am I doing something wrong?

Next question - is anyone else working on a SOAP servlet?  If not, I am
very willing to contribute one.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

PS did I mention - GREAT product!  :)  Even 1.0 is fantastic.  I managed to
pull out the corba and xml:db APIs pretty easy, and it was very lean, and
continued to work without a hitch.  Hopefully 1.1 will also be so easy to
lean-down.  :)

--
jim@jbrix.org

Visit www.jbrix.org for:
   + SpeedJAVA jEdit Code Completion Plugin
   + Xybrix XML Application Framework
   + other great Open Source Software

Re: servlet issues

Posted by Jim Wissner <ji...@jbrix.org>.
At 07:55 AM 11/5/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> > you already have multiple interfaces, so thread safety must already be
> taken into account at the core level
>
>Xindice only supports one Database instance at a time. You can't use
>2 different servlets accessing the same DB simultaneously. You can't
>use a servlet and a process using the embedded interface at the same time,
>etc.
>
>Also, there are internal thread safety issues in Xindice. e.g. the
>XUpdate code (l documented some of that in Bugzilla).

OK.  Good information.  That's what I was wondered.

> > I guess if I don't hear otherwise, I'll assume that it's all thread-safe
>
>On open-source mailing lists, it's never safe to assume that if you don't
>hear otherwise it must be so. Sometimes people know the answer but
>are too busy to comment...

Point well taken.  Thanks for taking the time to set me straight on this one.

So then I guess to enable the possibility of simultaneous different
servlets (soap, xml-rpc, etc) would be for them to coordinate with each
other the use of a shared db instance.  Perhaps a root XindiceServlet class
that they all derive from, who supplies the database, and then everybody
synchronizes on it when using it.  Just thinking out loud...

Anyway thanks again..

Jim

Re: servlet issues

Posted by Terry Rosenbaum <Te...@amicas.com>.

Re: servlet issues

Posted by Jim Wissner <ji...@jbrix.org>.
Hi Vladimir,

>What would you think of moving your code into the main Xindice tree?

I think that sounds great.  I'd be happy to move my code into the main
tree.  It's nice to contribute even in a small way to such a great
project.  The more I work with Xindice the more I like it!

>I was thinking about reorganizing the xindice.server package as follow:
>
>- org.apache.xindice.server.xmlrpc  (actual servlet)
>- org.apache.xindice.server.soap    (your soap servlet)
>- org.apache.xindice.server.webdav  (the webdav servlet, but not the one
>from the scratchpad directory)

This looks very good.  One question I've had is, as I posted earlier, are
there issues with multiple servlets (like, xml-rpc and soap) running on the
same database simultaneously.  But now that I think about it, you already

Re: servlet issues

Posted by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com>.
> It by no means exposes the full range of Xindice functionality, but on
> the other hand it does provide a nice clean interface to the basics, and
> can be expanded on in the future.

Good job Jim.

Re: servlet issues

Posted by Jim Wissner <ji...@jbrix.org>.
Fantastic!  I'll forge ahead then, at least with the knowledge that it
hopefully won't be a duplication of effort.  Here's what I have so
far.  The following files are the servlet itself, and an xml doc with
prototypes of the SOAP messages as the are right now.

http://www.jbrix.org/xindice-soap.xml  <--- All messages defined in here
are working

http://www.jbrix.org/XindiceSOAPServlet.java

It by no means exposes the full range of Xindice functionality, but on the
other hand it does provide a nice clean interface to the basics, and can be
expanded on in the future.

The user management messages are of course unimplemented for now, although
I am in need of them quickly so I'll likely have to build some sort of
security even though I'm sure you all are planning something much better.

Thanks,
Jim

Re: servlet issues

Posted by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com>.
> I found the problem.  The war target doesn't add all necessary lib
> file.  Specifically, commons-logging-1.0.1.jar was missing.  I added
> that and it now seems to work fine.

My Tomcat version has this library (standard 4.1.12 release) so I didn't
think necessary to provide it with Xindice.  But since more and more
people have problem with it, I will add it to the release.

-Vladimir

--
Vladimir R. Bossicard
www.bossicard.com

Re: servlet issues

> I found the problem.  The war target doesn't add all necessary lib
> file.  Specifically, commons-logging-1.0.1.jar was missing.  I added that
> and it now seems to work fine.
>
> Sorry to have bothered the group.
>
> I do still have the remaining questions:
>
> 1) is anyone working on a SOAP front-end?
> 2) if not, is there interest?
>
> If someone will let me know, I will get to work on it, since I myself am
in
> need of it.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim
>

> At 11:12 AM 11/3/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >Sorry about that.  It's tomcat 4.0.4, w2k, j2sdk 1.4.1-b21.  I don't know
> >what class, that's the problem!  ;)  Here's what I get:
> >
> >java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
> >         at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native
> > Method)
> >         at

sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAcces
sorImpl.java:39)
> >         at

sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstruc
torAccessorImpl.java:27)
> >         at
java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:274)
> >         at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:306)
> >         at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:259)
> >         at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:88
6)
> >         at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.allocate(StandardWrapper.java:655)
> >         at

org.apache.catalina.servlets.InvokerServlet.serveRequest(InvokerServlet.java
:400)
> >         at

org.apache.catalina.servlets.InvokerServlet.doGet(InvokerServlet.java:180)
> >         at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:740)
> >         at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
> >         at

FilterChain.java:247)
> >         at

ain.java:193)
> >         at

va:243)
> >         at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
66)
> >         at

> >         at
> > org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
> >         at

va:190)

)
> >         at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
66)
> >         at

java:170)
> >         at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
64)
> >         at

org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:170
)
> >         at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
64)
> >         at

org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:468)
> >         at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
64)
> >         at

> >         at
> > org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
> >         at

:174)
> >         at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
66)
> >         at

> >         at
> > org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
> >         at

1027)

Re: servlet issues

Posted by Jim Wissner <ji...@jbrix.org>.

Re: servlet issues

Posted by Jim Wissner <ji...@jbrix.org>.
[...]

         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

Re: servlet issues

Posted by Kevin Ross <Ke...@iVerticalLeap.com>.
There aren't any dependencies on JDK 1.4.

Re: servlet issues

Posted by Michael Westbay <we...@users.sourceforge.net>.

Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/
Home:           http://www.seaple.icc.ne.jp/~westbay
Commentary:     http://www.japanesebaseball.com/forum/

RE: servlet issues

Posted by Kevin Ross <Ke...@iVerticalLeap.com>.
And what JDK?  I've done extensive research on the Tomcat 4.x+
classloader on jdk 1.4, I wouldn't rule out tomcat just yet.

PS- For all out there using 1.4.0-b92, upgrade to the 1.4.1 IMMEDIATELY.
This should save you some heartache.

Re: servlet issues

Posted by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com>.