Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Nick Wilson <ni...@card.co.uk> on 2010/03/05 12:05:25 UTC

OBR refresh problem

I'm looking at using OBR for deploying bundles to one of our products.
I've written our own OBR server and I'm using the Felix OBR code to
connect to it. The problem I'm having is that if I upload a new bundle
to the OBR server then RepositoryAdmin will not find it. It looks like
it reads the XML from the OBR server once, then caches it.

The only way I've found round this is to use the "removeRepository"
method to unregister the OBR server, then add it again. Is there a
better way to get RepositoryAdmin to refresh? Shouldn't it be using the
"time" field in the XML to check if something has changed on the OBR
server?

As a side note, the latest specification I could find for OBR is from
2006 and still in draft. Is OBR still alive, or should I be looking at
something else?

Thanks,

Nick Wilson

RE: OBR refresh problem

Posted by Nick Wilson <ni...@card.co.uk>.
Thanks Richard, I'll add a feature request to JIRA.
Regards,

Nick

> I'm looking at using OBR for deploying bundles to one of our products.
> I've written our own OBR server and I'm using the Felix OBR code to
> connect to it. The problem I'm having is that if I upload a new bundle
> to the OBR server then RepositoryAdmin will not find it. It looks like
> it reads the XML from the OBR server once, then caches it.
>

> The only way I've found round this is to use the "removeRepository"
> method to unregister the OBR server, then add it again. Is there a
> better way to get RepositoryAdmin to refresh? Shouldn't it be using
the
> "time" field in the XML to check if something has changed on the OBR
> server?

Yes, it does just cache it. You can also just stop and restart the OBR
bundle. It is currently not too smart in this area, but could do some
sort of configurable polling. You could open an issue for the feature.
> As a side note, the latest specification I could find for OBR is from
> 2006 and still in draft. Is OBR still alive, or should I be looking at
> something else?

OBR inside the OSGi Alliance is still evolving, but it is not clear
where it is going. Here at Felix we are continuing to develop OBR and
have actually just started a bit of work to add some improvements. So a
new release from us should be coming soon, I imagine.

-> richard

Re: OBR refresh problem

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.