Posted to dev@taverna.apache.org by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org> on 2015/02/02 16:30:54 UTC

Re: Blockers for incubator release of Taverna? (was: Name search for Taverna?)

On 28 January 2015 at 19:02, Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> wrote:
> Time.  The checking is going to be non-trivial and need discussion.
>
> It might be necessary to have some sort of summary of the IP to help the
> mentors.
>
> How big are NOTICE and LICENSE?

I think for taverna-language, our first release, they are rather trivial.
I'm not sure we have created the global NOTICE bit yet for that.. Alan?

Once we get to taverna-workbench and solid binary installers, there
will be a significant list of dependencies and much more to review,
I'm afraid.

Hopefully by doing the first releases in a piecemeal stepping-up with
the modules we will more easily gradually get the hang of how to
manage that.

(see repository list at http://taverna.incubator.apache.org/code/ -
you can consider the initial release plan to be the same order, due to
build dependencies)

If we don't do the taverna-scufl2-wfdesc binary (with its outdated
Sesame bindings) there would not be any binary distributions with
external libraries in taverna-language (just JARs for Maven central),
and the only NOTICE file entry would be for those W3C schema files,
Wf4Ever ontologies (Creative Commons Attribution) and the Apache
licensed code from Oracle in the ODFDom files in ucfpackage.

We also include a copy of the Dublin Core Terms OWL ontology from
http://bloody-byte.net/rdf/dc_owl2dl/index.html - this is also CC 3.0
Attribution.

So those would need attribution in NOTICE but presumably would not
need changes in LICENSE?

(If we do a binary release of the wfdesc script, then we should do a
secondary, larger NOTICE file for that - as it would be different from
the source release's NOTICE. Not sure how much Maven plugins can help
us here.)

BTW - those ODFDOM things could in theory be upgraded to later Apache
Incubator ODFDom [1], but I believe I did a patch here and there [2].
Updating that might probably be more work than to just complete the
job of not needing ODFDom at all, as the newer taverna-robundle can do
the load/save .wfbundle job independently in a cleaner and more
efficient way.

[1] https://incubator.apache.org/odftoolkit/odfdom/index.html
[2] https://github.com/taverna/taverna-scufl2/commits/master/scufl2-ucfpackage/src/main/java/uk/org/taverna/scufl2/ucfpackage/impl/odfdom/pkg/OdfPackage.java

--