Posted to dev@libcloud.apache.org by Tomaz Muraus <to...@apache.org> on 2013/12/15 15:59:57 UTC

[dev] [Feedback wanted] New Libcloud website

Over this weekend I have finally started to work on a new Libcloud website.

Website is not finished yet, but I think I have made decent progress and
some feedback would be appreciated at this point.

Live preview: http://lcv2.dev.tomaz.me/
Source code: https://github.com/Kami/libcloud-website-v2/
Task list: https://github.com/Kami/libcloud-website-v2/issues

New website highlights:

- New and fully responsive design powered by Bootstrap 3
- More modern and user friendly design and typography
- Website is now powered by Jekyll static website / blogging engine
- New website now features a blog
- Content has been updated

Why move away from the Apache CMS to Jekyll?

Jekyll is way more powerful and flexible. On top of that it has way bigger
user base and plugin ecosystem.

Website will still be stored in a version control system so benefits we get
from that are preserved.

Content

I have updated a bunch of existing content, but I'm pretty sure there is
still a lot of place for improvements. Feel free to submit pull requests
with your changes (typo fixes, grammar fixes, content improvements, other
improvements, ...).

News / Blog page

On the existing website we don't have blog functionality, but we have a
static "News" page (http://libcloud.apache.org/news.html) which mostly
links to the release announcements on the mailing list.

Jekyll makes it very easy to add support for blogging so I have replaced
"News" section with a fully featured Blog.

I have back-filled this new blog with the old release announcement posts.
Those posts are very short and only contain a link to the mailing list
thread, but going forward, we will be able to add proper blog posts and
release announcements.

Feedback wanted

As noted above, feedback would be very much appreciated at this point. You
can find some existing open tasks / issues on the Github issues page -
https://github.com/Kami/libcloud-website-v2/issues.

Feel free to post your feedback and submit pull requests with your changes
and improvements.

Re: [dev] [Feedback wanted] New Libcloud website

Posted by CharSyam <ch...@gmail.com>.
How about adding list of committors :)

Posted by Tomaz Muraus <to...@apache.org>.
Replies are in-line.

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 9:16 AM, sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 16, 2013, at 11:59 PM, Tomaz Muraus <to...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Replies are in-line.
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 11:17 PM, John Carr <jo...@me.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hey,
> >>
> >> Not sure what to say other than - this is looking good!
> >>
> >> Any thoughts about where “who’s using libcloud” fits in?
> >>

> > The page is still there (http://lcv2.dev.tomaz.me/whois-using.html), but
> > it's just not directly linked to.
> >
> > I think it is good to show case projects and companies using Libcloud so
> we
> > should preserve this page.
> >

> Ceph is working on a 'ceph brag' tool:
> http://wiki.ceph.com/01Planning/02Blueprints/Firefly/Ceph-Brag
>
> We could do something like this, it would be yet more work, but would
> allow libcloud users to report their usage automatically.

I was thinking about an automatic reporting tool in the past so we could
get a better idea of how many people are using which version, which
drivers, etc.

The whole thing would require explicit op-it and consent from the user, but
nevertheless, I still decided it's a bad idea.

I think it's not worth doing it because people could simply misunderstand
or miss read it and this would bring unnecessary attention and bad karma at
the project.

Some people say every attention you get is good (even bad one), but I don't
agree in this context. We can spend our time better than "fighting"
conspiracy theorist or people who misread / misunderstood how the whole
thing works.

In any case, the automatic reporting tool is also different then "Who's
Using?" section on the home page.

If we decide to go with that section, I will explicitly ask some companies
for permission to display their logo on our site under "Libcloud Users".

> > One idea I was toying around is to add some company logos to the home
> page
> > and underneath, add "See other projects and companies who use Libcloud"
> > link which links to this page.
> >
> > I think images would also help with the homepage look. Currently we have
> 3
> > main "content row" which look pretty dry since they mostly feature text.
> >

> >> I really like the new blog, but it looks weird with so many short blog
> >> posts. Can we backfill the old release announcements with more texts? Or
> >> have a longer “libcloud roadmap” post ready to go?
> >>

> > I agree, blog page does look kinda weird now.  It looks like we need
> > support for Amazon Mechanical Turk API in Libcloud so I can outsource
> > back-filling of the old posts :P
> >
> > Joking aside, it should be relatively to parse mbox files and use the
> > content to populate the release announcement blog posts.
> >
> > In any case, blog page still needs some styling / design love.
> >

> We could request a planet from apache infra, and syndicate our posts to
> it, then display the list on the webpage.
> I am not a huge fan of planet (e.g http://planet.apache.org/cloudstack/ )
> but there has to be a way to syndicate our own blogs..

Yeah, I like that idea. I will follow up with ASF infra on this one :)

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: [dev] Re: [Feedback wanted] New Libcloud website

Posted by Tomaz Muraus <to...@apache.org>.
Replies are in-line.

Posted by Jerry Chen <je...@apache.org>.
+1 on Jekyll. This should be easier to contribute for.

Thanks to Tomaz for actually putting this together, as opposed to taking a screenshot and calling it a day...

On Dec 16, 2013, at 4:17 PM, John Carr <jo...@me.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Not sure what to say other than - this is looking good!
>
> Any thoughts about where “who’s using libcloud” fits in?

I think it's time to abandon that section. A lot of people are using libcloud :)

Posted by John Carr <jo...@me.com>.
Hey,

Posted by Tomaz Muraus <to...@apache.org>.