Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com> on 2003/12/05 23:21:54 UTC

Is it time to move Configuration out of sandbox?

Hello everybody,

Over the past couple month's, the Configuration project in sandbox has
matured quite a bit from the state it was in when it was spun out of Turbine
so long ago.  To wit:
1) CompositeConfiguration pattern that allows aggregating multiple
configurations
2) Ability to override or add to a key in collection.
3) JNDI provider for Configuration object
4) AbstractConfiguration to make it simpler to create new implementators
(say LDAP...) of a Configuration.
5) Over 170 unit tests providing good coverage (JCoverage says 86%
coverage!)

Along with this, there have been numerous patches from some new people
including Konstantin Shaposhnikov and Oliver Heger, as well as some very
good work on cleaning up the docs and providing a nice "Examples" section.

At this point, I think that the need for a 1.0 release is becoming critical.
A number of projects use commons configuration (including Turbine) and
having a 1.0 release would ensure stability in the architecture, and give us
a way to deprecate some things (like a getVector()) method.  Therefore, I
would like to get a general feeling on what needs to be done before we can
do a release.  I have reviewed the promotion docs, and I believe all the
required paperwork is now in place.

The documentation has just been rebuilt and is available:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/configuration/

I used the "maven dist" target and have uploaded the distribution artifacts
here: http://jakarta.apache.org/~epugh/builds/

Eric

Re: Is it time to move Configuration out of sandbox?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 5 Dec 2003, at 22:39, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> From what you describe, it fulfills the normal things I look for in
> commons
> proper promotion. If you get no problems from this mail, you should
> move to
> a new VOTE thread.

+1

> Stephen
>
> PS. The website could benefit from some links from the main intro area
> the overview and examples pages IMO. And perhaps the maven logo should
> be
> the feather? (maven.xdoc.poweredby.image=maven-feather.png)

i suspect that the site's been update since stephen's post but there's
one small thing remaining - have you considered using some of the
standard links? (you can include these - see betwixt or codex or ask
how to do this :)

- robert

Re: Is it time to move Configuration out of sandbox?

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
>From what you describe, it fulfills the normal things I look for in commons
proper promotion. If you get no problems from this mail, you should move to
a new VOTE thread.

Stephen

PS. The website could benefit from some links from the main intro area to