Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net> on 2001/09/28 19:23:39 UTC

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/docroot index.html.cz.iso8859-2 index.html.hr.iso8859-2 index.html.ltz.utf8 index.html.lu.utf8 index.html.po.iso8859-2 index.html.fr index.html.it index.html.ja.iso2022-jp index.html.kr.iso2022-kr index.html.pt-br index.html.

These files were pretty borked, watch the extensions, HTTP-Equiv and .var map folks!
I counted four duplicate translations, and several mis-encoded ones.

> wrowe       01/09/28 09:55:49
>
>   Modified:    docs/docroot index.html.fr index.html.it
>                         index.html.ja.iso2022-jp index.html.kr.iso2022-kr
>                         index.html.pt-br index.html.ru.cp866 index.html.var
>   Added:       docs/docroot index.html.cz.iso8859-2 index.html.hr.iso8859-2

Whoa... I accedently left the .hr.iso-8859-2 flavor that Mladen contributed in
my tree when I did this mass-update.  Do we want to retract that till it gets a
second signoff, or just wait a day or two for Mladen to ask a programmer-type
associate to email apache-docs@ with a "yes - I've read this translation, it's good."
I don't know how quickly we will 'aquire' another Croatian speaker.

>                         index.html.ltz.utf8 index.html.lu.utf8
>                         index.html.po.iso8859-2
>   Removed:     docs/docroot index.html.cz index.html.ja.jis
>                         index.html.kr.iso-kr index.html.ltz index.html.lu
>                         index.html.po.iso-pl index.html.ru.ucs2
>                         index.html.ru.ucs4
>   Log:
>     MAJOR charset encoding fixes.  The file names and HTTP-Equiv tags are now
>     in sync with the httpd-std.conf - and the ucs2/4 encodings are gone since
>     utf8 is a universally recognized shorthand that sits much better in our
>     tree [notice; these were _duplicate_ character sets, only in different
>     byte encodings!]  Same with removing the duplicate .jis and .is-kr files.
>     [I simply choose the one 'with link' over the one without, and fixed the
>     links back to preFAQ as I picked.]
>
>     Russian users, how many of the remaining five encodings are truly needed?

Encodings today include windows-1251, cp866, iso-8859-5, koi8-r, and utf-8.
I don't know if we _need_ that many of one language this day-and-age, would
anyone care to shed more light on this?

Bill