Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM> on 2005/10/22 01:23:58 UTC

Voting and comments

I do want to express one frustration with the voting process.  It seems
that although I get some feedback, I can't seem to get all the comments
I need on a proposal until *after* I call for a vote.  I had this
proposal online for over two weeks, and it wasn't until after I called
for a vote that I started getting some meaty comments from everyone.

So that means I have to adjust the proposal and the vote basically has
to be rejected.    I really dislike this, I don't like having to have
vote after vote as I try to refine the proposal.

Does anyone have any ideas how a vote submitter can get the feedback
they need *prior* to calling for a vote?  I really would prefer a vote
to be a "stamp of approval" on a discussion that has already been worked
through.

Maybe we can have something like "PRE-VOTE" where people know that this
is coming in for a vote and they should get their comments in *prior* to
the call for vote?

Thanks,

David

Re: Voting and comments

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
Hi, Kathey.  Sorry if I missed your comments on user impact.  I thought
I fixed the wording to make it a very strong statement in terms of
impact and compatibility.  Take a look at the diffs and let me know if
it's still not a strong enough statement.

Regarding providing a summary, I should have responded to your email,
but I was concerned about that because I am convinced people will want
to know exactly what they're voting on, versus voting on it in a
"general" sense.  I was hoping to hear what others thought but nobody
else piped in.

Anyway, I posted the request for vote, we'll see how it goes.  If it
continues to get edited and changed I may go for your recommendation :)

David

Re: Voting and comments

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Re: Voting and comments

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On Oct 21, 2005, at 9:18 PM, Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> David W. Van Couvering wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any ideas how a vote submitter can get the feedback
>> they need *prior* to calling for a vote?  I really would prefer a
>> vote
>> to be a "stamp of approval" on a discussion that has already been
>> worked
>> through.
>
> I think you have to change your expectations and approach to fit the
> model of open source and the behaviour of the community.
>
> I'm personally going back a lot more to the basic "scratch your own
> itch" as the starting point and fundamental approach.
>
> <snip lots of good examples>
> To go back to the shared code, maybe an detailed proposal is the wrong
> approach, a possible alternative is:
>
> 1) Set up a vote for the top-level principles, e.g.
>
> 2) Contribute a patch/set of code that is in line with the principle,
> has the detailed explanation, framework and intial shared code, and
> provides value to Derby. Should be accepted because it adds value.

+1!

To paraphrase a recent movie catch phrase: "Show me the code!"

It's a lot easier to talk about something concrete than something
abstract and vague. And, as long as anyone contributes something real
that has definite value to the project, who is going to turn it down?
You'd have to be crazy! :-)

I admit this is a very different approach than the usual closed
source way of spec-it-out and then implement the spec approach. It's
more like implement-your-proposal and let the community comment.

This is why I voted -0 to the recent Junit vote. It's great that
members of the community are interested in developing Junit tests for
Derby. But it doesn't mean much to say that we require Junit for
testing when there are no Junit tests for other contributors to run,
validate, and enhance.

Speaking of which: Rick - I promise I'll get around to reviewing your
contribution of new Junit compatibility tests w/r/t DERBY-516 as soon
as I can (early next week?). I guess it's also important to
understand that everyone has a limited amount of time and that
individuals get things done according to how strong their itch for
that particular subject happens to be.

andrew

Scratching your itch [Was Voting and comments]

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
I'd like to chime in (late) on this thread.

I agree with everything Dan wrote below about scratching your itch.
Besides, motivation produces the best work.

However, I'd also like to suggest that sometimes scratching each other's
itch just because it's good for the project has much merit to be said
for it. Apache has built healthy communities in large part due to the
individuals who volunteer to step up to the plate and take on onerous
tasks for the greater good even though they'd much rather be working on
a challenge that is technically stimulating.

Of course, it's purely up to the individual to decide whether he or she
has cycles and wants to scratch (or help scratch) somebody else's itch.

  -jean

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.
David W. Van Couvering wrote:
> I do want to express one frustration with the voting process.  It seems
> that although I get some feedback, I can't seem to get all the comments
> I need on a proposal until *after* I call for a vote.  I had this
> proposal online for over two weeks, and it wasn't until after I called
> for a vote that I started getting some meaty comments from everyone.
>
> So that means I have to adjust the proposal and the vote basically has
> to be rejected.    I really dislike this, I don't like having to have
> vote after vote as I try to refine the proposal.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas how a vote submitter can get the feedback
> they need *prior* to calling for a vote?  I really would prefer a vote
> to be a "stamp of approval" on a discussion that has already been worked
> through.

This is more vague advice than anything concrete ...