Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> on 2019/10/09 13:19:32 UTC

NB 11.2-beta3 delay (nb-javac issue)

Hi All,

I knew I spoke too soon promising an on-schedule third beta! :-)

We still need to solve the issue of delivering an updated nb-javac for
NB 11.2 (more below).  It isn't now feasible to fix and merge
something today to get a beta build done, and as I'm tied up with work
over the next few days, I'm going to push back beta3 to the beginning
of next week.  That gives a bit more time to not rush a fix and ensure
it's working.  I'd still prefer beta3 to also end up as the final
release vote candidate.

In beta2 we had a revised way to provision nb-java in the internal
3rd-party update centre, similarly to JavaFX.  Currently all 11.x
releases share a plugin portal, but we need a separate nb-java for new
Java features in NB 11.2, while still serving the old one to 11.0 and
11.1.  Unfortunately the solution in beta2 has proven not to be
working correctly in practice.  There are a couple of potential fixes
for this, or we may need to revert to Plan B and use a separate
specific update centre for nb-javac in NB 11.2, or switch entirely to
the new plugin portal.

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/1556
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/1560

Thoughts are welcome on approach.  My personal preference is probably
still PR1556.

Best wishes,

Neil
Volunteer Release Manager for Apache NetBeans 11.2

Re: NB 11.2-beta3 delay (nb-javac issue)

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Thanks and this is a smart move, to delay for a few days to get it done
right and not rush it too much. This is an important piece to get right.

Gj

Posted by Kai Uwe Pel <ka...@asia.com>.
+1
Thanks for the update, Neil!