Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Carlos Araya <ca...@cvc.edu> on 2002/11/21 19:18:55 UTC

Comments on the DTD Deficiencies, a question and an attachment

Re: Comments on the DTD Deficiencies, a question and an attachment

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 09:39:05AM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>>Lists don't have to be rendered as blocks of indented text.  With
>>>appropriate CSS, that paragraph could be rendered in-line as "Forrest is
>>>wonderful because blah.., blah...".
>>
>>The above I like. It's natural and common. IMHO a list is part of a
>>paragraph, not necessarilt a paragraph itself.
>

> Then I found (much to my annoyance) that XHTML doesn't allow lists in
> paragraphs ;/  So to generate valid XHTML would require some fancy XSLT.
> At least now that document2html.xsl is shared across skins, it would only
> need to be done once.

Hmmm, this is intersting. Still needs thought then I guess. Really
amusing IMHO.

>>But I don't see a need not particularly like having paragraphs in list
>>elements.
>

> I didn't parse that..?  In case you mean, you don't see a need for
> multiple paras inside a <li>, here's my original use-case:

It seems more like a table should be used, hence my comment.
But probably I'm wrong, and what should be done is the opposite of what
I said, witness your current comments.
I'm still thinking...

> <faq>
>   <question>
>     When trying to run a Forrest site as a webapp,
>     I get an error: <code>java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
>       javax/xml/transform/URIResolver</code>.  What's wrong?
>  </question>
>  <answer>
>      Either:
>    <ul>
>      <li>
>          You are running JDK 1.4, and haven't to set the
>          <code>java.endorsed.dirs</code> JVM property to point to the XML jars
>          bundled with Forrest.
>          For Tomcat, this means setting the <code>TOMCAT_OPTS</code> (3.3.x) or
>          <code>CATALINA_OPTS</code> (4.x) variable to
>          <code>-Djava.endorsed.dirs=$FORREST_HOME/lib/endorsed</code>, where
>          <code>$FORREST_HOME</code> is the location of the forrest distribution
>          (<code>build/dist/shbat</code> if built from source).
>          Alternatively, the Forrest XML jars in
>          <code>$FORREST_HOME/lib/endorsed</code> can be copied to
>          there!).
>      </li>
>      <li>
>        You are running the webapp under JDK 1.3, and the Forrest webapp was
>        built with JDK 1.4.  When built with 1.4, the XML jars are <em>not</em>
>        copied into <code>WEB-INF/lib</code>, causing the webapp to break under
>        JDK 1.3.
>      </li>
>    </ul>
>  </answer>
> </faq>
>

> --Jeff

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Comments on the DTD Deficiencies, a question and an attachment

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.