Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de> on 2000/10/17 20:11:17 UTC

XMLSerializer in Xerces-J

Hi,

I am trying to use Xerces' XMLSerializer to write out a DOM, using:

    FileWriter fos = new FileWriter( file );
    org.apache.xml.serialize.XMLSerializer ser = new
org.apache.xml.serialize.XMLSerializer
      (fos, new org.apache.xml.serialize.OutputFormat ("xml", this.encoding,
true));
    ser.serialize( this.document );

This works fine, except that namespace information is dropped. The DOM is
created from scratch, and createDocument (in DOMImplementation) was used to
create a document element in a specific namespace (I verified that
dom.getDocumentElement().getNamespaceURI() displays the right namespace
name).

What am I missing?

Julian

Re: XMLSerializer in Xerces-J

Posted by Arnaud Le Hors <le...@us.ibm.com>.
Julian Reschke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use Xerces' XMLSerializer to write out a DOM, using:
>
>     FileWriter fos = new FileWriter( file );
>     org.apache.xml.serialize.XMLSerializer ser = new
> org.apache.xml.serialize.XMLSerializer
>       (fos, new org.apache.xml.serialize.OutputFormat ("xml", this.encoding,
> true));
>     ser.serialize( this.document );
>
> This works fine, except that namespace information is dropped. The DOM is
> created from scratch, and createDocument (in DOMImplementation) was used to
> create a document element in a specific namespace (I verified that
> dom.getDocumentElement().getNamespaceURI() displays the right namespace
> name).
>
> What am I missing?

Nothing. The serializer is broken and although many already have
reported the problem you're facing nobody has contributed any patch yet.
If you could do so, that'd be great!!