Posted to modules-dev@httpd.apache.org by Richard Catlin <ri...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/21 18:34:36 UTC

Can the Apache2 Modules system be used as a general purpose application server, similar to Java based application servers like Apache Tomcat/Weblogic?

I have been a Java developer and have used Java-based Application Servers, such as Tomcat, JBoss, and Weblogic.  It looks to me that the Apache2 Modules system with its filter chain is architected in a similar fashion to Java based Application Servers.

Can the Modules system be used as a general purpose application server?

Richard Catlin

Re: Can the Apache2 Modules system be used as a general purpose application server, similar to Java based application servers like Apache Tomcat/Weblogic?

Posted by Ray Morris <su...@bettercgi.com>.
> I have been a Java developer and have used Java-based Application
> Servers, such as Tomcat, JBoss, and Weblogic.  It looks to me that
> the Apache2 Modules system with its filter chain is architected in a
> similar fashion to Java based Application Servers.
>
> Can the Modules system be used as a general purpose application
> server?

It could be. Apache modules are generally written in C, though Perl
is also an option via mod_perl, which exports the Apache modules API
to Perl. Obviously many companies use Apache as something like a PHP
or Perl application server. Zend Server is an Apache module that
implements a PHP application server which will also import your
existing Java code, integrating it with the PHP within Zend application
server.

The transition would probably involve a significant realingnment
of what a Tomcat user might think an application server should be,
though.
--
Ray Morris
support@bettercgi.com