Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Norbert Gruener <no...@MPA-Garching.MPG.DE> on 2003/06/12 09:49:25 UTC

Re: saving time stamps of files - nearly finished, help still needed

Hi Philipp,

on the "subversion" mailing archive I have read your thread about
"saving time stamps of files".  I am very interested in that
{feature|option}.

On Wed, May 19 2003, P.Marek wrote:

> This is a nearly finished version of my patch.
> It should do imports, commits, exports, ... you name it :-)
> BUT: I still don't know how to handle the commit case - where I have a
[snipped]

> Will that possibly be in 0.23 or 0.24? I'd like to have an "acknowledged"
> version, which preferable has all my bugs fixed :-)

Do you have any information when your patch will be included ?

Cheers,

Norbert
--
Ceterum censeo          | PGP encrypted mail preferred.
Redmond esse delendam.  | PGP Key at www.MPA-Garching.MPG.de/~nog/

Re: saving time stamps of files - nearly finished, help still needed

Posted by Norbert Gruener <no...@MPA-Garching.MPG.DE>.
On Wed, Jun 18 2003, P.Marek wrote:

> > Does that mean that SVN did not save the old timestamps somewhere in
> > the background and all the old timestamps are lost ?  This is not a
> > very encouraging answer :-(    This will give me a hard time to convince
> > the CVS users at my site to convert to SVN.
>
> Well, AFAIK (from "svnadmin dump"), only the commit-time is saved, not the
> individual timestamps.
> But that is to change in the future :-)
>
> > I know that this was not your decision and I am not blaming you.  Just
> > on the contrary I want to thank you that you are working on this
> > feature.
>
> I'll try to get commit working, maybe in an (internal) ugly way.
> Do you want to beta-test a patch if it's ready??

Yes, I would be happy to help you by testing your patches.  So as soon
as you have anything to test, just let me know.  At the moment I am
running subversion release 0.23.0.

Cheers,

Norbert

Posted by "P.Marek" <pm...@cpan.org>.
> I see.  That means, this is nothing which will come in the near
> future.
Well, the support for add/import/export is there. I'll just have to find a way
to ship the mtimes on commit.

Posted by Norbert Gruener <no...@MPA-Garching.MPG.DE>.

Posted by "P.Marek" <pm...@cpan.org>.
> Hi Philipp,
>
> on the "subversion" mailing archive I have read your thread about
> "saving time stamps of files".  I am very interested in that
> {feature|option}.

> Do you have any information when your patch will be included ?
I believe it will have to be completed before - I still experience some
problems.

I posted a patch which did some things but didn't some other; most notably,
the saving of timestamps on commit was missing.

But the solution for that problem gave me some problems.

- A property update on commit, but the local property file may be empty, so
some io_read_-function (can't remember the name right now) died

- "svn status" says that properties have been modified, as I have to fake the
mtime for files which don't have this property.

- I thought that the best way to handle this behaviour would be to only
overwrite existing mtime-properties on commit. So everyone using svn on older
repositories would continue as before, and new imported (or added) files
would be tracked.

- I got a bit lost while trying to find a good interface for seperating the
os-specific properties (executable, acls, access rights, ...). The problem is
that I found too many places where these things are handled - so a function
which could insert all os-specifics into a apr_table couldn't handle a
apr_hash and so on - but different types are used in different places, so
there would have to be a multitude of handling functions.

For the first two problems I experimented some time by changing to
entry-properties (which are remembered in the Entries-file instead of the
/propbase/-directory, but that made things worse, as these properties are
AFAIK not saved in the repository.

So as I'm thinking of something the last patch is still current - it takes the
data on add and import and uses it on export (not update, due to the
dependencies problem).

I'm still thinking about a good solution for the commit problem regarding
m-time. (currently leaving all other os-specific properties aside). But I
could not find one yet.

Any help is appreciated :-)