Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Paul Hammant <Pa...@bigfoot.com> on 2001/12/03 21:46:07 UTC

Reasons for converting to Avalon

(or starting a new project on Avalon)

There are quite a few people here who are new to Avalon or working on
their own Avalon dependant applications. Could as many people as
possible contribute a short list of reasons why they are using or like
Avalon's Framework, Excalibur or Phoenix.

I'm motivated by the "as much as possible serving from one VM", but am
interested to know what others like.  I have trouble convincing people
to port to or start with some aspect of Avalon for their server
component. I have just managed to interest Alexis Agahi in Avalon for
his excellent Jabber Server app, so all is not so bad.

Regards,

- Paul H

Re: Reasons for converting to Avalon

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter,

>I use different bits for different reasons. I use logkit, and parts of
>excalibur just got because they are little components that fill a small
>focused need. I try to stay away from components with two many dependencies.
>
>When I use Phoenix it is mainly just because of the ease of development and
>RAD like features it provides.
>
>I use Framework so I have to think less. Usually if I am doing something
>stupid Framework will make it difficult for me ;) Usually this alerts me to
>the fact that I should be doing it a different way (whether I actually do it
>a different way is another thing altogether). That said there is areas in
>Framework I don't like and have never used or only use rarely - But because
>it is relatively easy to ignore those bits - I do ;)

We should make a testemonials page.  Though for Peter quoting, it's a
bit like buying your own products to boost sales figures.

>>I have just managed to interest Alexis Agahi in Avalon for
>>his excellent Jabber Server app, so all is not so bad.
>>

>kool - link ?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jabaserver

Alexis is still reading Avalon docs and looking at examples.  He's very
interested though.  I'll offer to help him convert it, but I think he
won;t need the help.

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.

--
Cheers,

Pete

RE: Reasons for converting to Avalon

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
Hi,
(this contribution is more related on Avalon
Framework)
I think the main problem with every framework
is that there are so many of them. Every has
the claim to be the one and only. And they
come and go (don't kill me now). I know
developers (Seniors) which refuses every
framework. They say, that frameworks steals
flexibilty and that they are producing more
problems as solutions.

Why?
Because there are ones which are so strict that you
have no flexibility as developer and there are
others which are so academic that you can't
use them.
What we need is something in the middle. Something
which takes away that annoying stuff from you as
developer, give you enough flexibility to react
one changing requirements (everybody in the project
business knows what I'm telling here)
and easy/quick to implement ('cause time and money
rules the world outside).

I think Avalon is going the correct way:
- it's flexible (you can use bits or the whole
thing)
- when it's correct implemented you can do a
very quick development.
- it's like developing by contract. This is the
point I like much. Because that's what we need
between devs in one team!

The obligative pathetic conclusion:
"Keep rolling and stay in touch with the real world"

Cheers
Gerhard

All my life I wanted to be someone;
I guess I should have been more specific.
(Jane Wagner)