Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Daniel Noll <da...@nuix.com> on 2007/03/13 05:19:06 UTC

font-weight: bolder

Hi all.

Is there a particular reason why when I have a font-weight="bolder", it
doesn't actually make the text any bolder?

font-weight="bold" works as one would expect.

Daniel Noll

Nuix Pty Ltd

Re: font-weight: bolder

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Mar 14, 2007, at 20:30, Andreas L Delmelle wrote:
<snip />
> (see FontState.getFontState())

Sorry, make that CommonFont.getFontState()...

Later

Andreas

Re: font-weight: bolder

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Mar 14, 2007, at 20:05, Andreas L Delmelle wrote:

>>> Perhaps because "bolder" isn't implemented yet... :-\
>>>
>>> http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/compliance.html#fo-property-
>>> font-weight
>>
>> <snip />
>> I wonder why it wasn't just aliased to "bold" until a better
>> option became available.
>
> Weird, the property resolution code to compute the correct value
> for "bolder" seems to be OK, so I always thought this was
> implemented, but now that you mention it, I went looking and it
> seems no tests have been added to check for this.

Just checked it and, contrary to what I seemed to remember, the
properties' values are not OK
Plus, FOP's font-subsystem that apparently doesn't know what to do
with it yet...
(see FontState.getFontState())

First, I'll see if the replacement of the keywords by a numerical
value (normal=400, bold=700) cannot be done during property
resolution. Then it still becomes a matter of teaching the font-
subsystem to do something sensible with those values. Note that
numeric values in the range '100' to '500' currently all have the
same result as 'normal', and the values '600' to '900' are
interpreted simply as bold.

Cheers,

Andreas

Re: font-weight: bolder

Posted by Daniel Noll <da...@nuix.com>.

>>> Perhaps because "bolder" isn't implemented yet... :-\
>>>
>>> http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/compliance.html#fo-property-font-
>>> weight
>>
>> <snip />
>> I wonder why it wasn't just aliased to "bold" until a better option
>> became available.
>
> Weird, the property resolution code to compute the correct value for
> "bolder" seems to be OK, so I always thought this was implemented,  but
> now that you mention it, I went looking and it seems no tests  have been
> added to check for this.
>
>> The sad thing is that tools like CSS2XSLFO output "bolder" for a  <b>
>> tag, so I have to post-process its FO to change them all to bold.
>
> As a temporary workaround, one could easily implement that post-
> processing via XSLT. Identity transform for everything but the  attribute
> "font-weight" when it has a value of "bolder".

That's basically what I'm doing.  In actual fact I'm doing it with a custom
XMLFilter which I figured should be slightly faster.  I had to use a custom
filter anyway because I also had to fix its output to quote font family
names with spaces in them (I can nuke that hack once the next stable FOP
comes out, of course.)

Daniel Noll

Nuix Pty Ltd

Re: font-weight: bolder

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Mar 14, 2007, at 02:41, Daniel Noll wrote:

>>> Is there a particular reason why when I have a font-
>>> weight="bolder", it
>>> doesn't actually make the text any bolder?
>>
>> Perhaps because "bolder" isn't implemented yet... :-\
>>
>> http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/compliance.html#fo-property-font-
>> weight
>
> <snip />
> I wonder why it wasn't just aliased to "bold" until a better option
> became available.

Weird, the property resolution code to compute the correct value for
"bolder" seems to be OK, so I always thought this was implemented,
but now that you mention it, I went looking and it seems no tests
have been added to check for this.

> The sad thing is that tools like CSS2XSLFO output "bolder" for a
> <b> tag, so I have to post-process its FO to change them all to bold.

As a temporary workaround, one could easily implement that post-
processing via XSLT. Identity transform for everything but the
attribute "font-weight" when it has a value of "bolder".

Anyway, I'm going to look into this ASAP.

Cheers,

Andreas

Re: font-weight: bolder

Posted by Daniel Noll <da...@nuix.com>.
>> Is there a particular reason why when I have a font-weight="bolder", it
>> doesn't actually make the text any bolder?
>
> Perhaps because "bolder" isn't implemented yet... :-\
>
> http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/compliance.html#fo-property-font-weight

Ah.

Whoops, should have known to check that list.

Re: font-weight: bolder

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vi...@anyware-tech.com>.
Hi Daniel,

Daniel Noll a écrit :
> Hi all.
>
> Is there a particular reason why when I have a font-weight="bolder", it
> doesn't actually make the text any bolder?

Perhaps because "bolder" isn't implemented yet... :-\

http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/compliance.html#fo-property-font-weight

Vincent