Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch> on 2004/09/30 12:00:02 UTC

[VOTE] Moving LF5 to log4j-attic

Hello,

Given that  no one is maintaining  LF, I have asked  whether there was
any  opposition to removing  LF5 in  log4j version  1.3, in  a message
posted a few weeks ago.

There have been no responses.

I suggest to move LF5 to a new CVS module called log4j-attic. The move
will preserve file history by  messing directly with the history files
in the repository.  Thus, if anyone decides to  resuscitate LF5 in the
future, it would be technically possible.

Is this OK with everyone?

I vote as follows:

[X] Yes,  move LF5 into log4j-attic
[ ] No, keep LF5 as is.
[ ] Abstain

--
Ceki Gülcü

Re: [VOTE] Moving LF5 to log4j-attic

Posted by Jim Moore <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Fine with me.

Jake

Posted by Endre Stølsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>.
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Ceki Gülcü wrote:

| Endre,
|

| You are  correct to observe  that directly moving or  removing history
| files  (,v files)  in  the  CVS repository  causes  problems with  the
| existing  work copies  that users  have checked  out.  Thanks  for the
| heads up.

Actually, that's not what I'm referring to.. But that is definately also
an issue! ;)

| However,  contrary to  common belief,  the *moved*  history  files are
| perfectly functional.

This I do know: Each ,v-file is self-contained.

My point is that if you check out log4j from e.g. 2004-03-25 (for
"historical reasons": you have this customer's project using log4j versjon
X.y, you only have the jar-file, and you'd like to hack the config-parsing
to satisfy some weird immediate requirement from the customer), this
checkout will not build anymore. The reason for this, is that the
dir-layout, and the javafiles, now have changed: the lf5 ones aren't there
anymore. The build.xml file (or whatever) will refer to directories and
java files that aren't there! (Basically, if you, after simply deleting
all the lf5 dirs from a fresh checkout, have to do -anything- to get the
build finished, you're in trouble, "history-wise"..)

| In order to ensure a smoother transition, one could *copy* the history
| files to log4j-attic and then  perform a *CVS remove* operation on the
| LF5 files as  they exists currently in the  log4j CVS repository.

This is a much better approach.  The new "log4j-attic" thing will have a
"code-history" dating way-back, but won't have a proper "build history"
untill from the point at which you check in a build-file that can build
the code and make the lf5 jar.

| This way, we would get rid of LF5 in our regular work environment and
| still keep its history elsewhere for those who may want it.
|
| Make better sense?

I really don't see the need for the copy-operation at all. The Attic in
CVS work like this already: assuming that no-one will pick up the lf5
system in some time, it doesn't really matter if it is accessible only by
checking out the log4j repo from before 2004-09-30.  Even if people want
to start maintaining and updating the lf5 system, they'll just check out a
copy of the repo from 2004-09-29, add the lf5 files into a fresh HEAD-copy
of the repo, get it up and running, and then it can be re-added, thus
it'll get out of the Attic.

The copy-operation you suggest can be delayed to whenever someone wants to
"fork out" the lf5 project.

In any case, I personally advice against deleting -anything- from the CVS
repo: I believe that "build history" also must be maintained, or else the
history-aspect (the "way back" aspect, not just "rollback") of a SCM
system isn't much worth. "cvs remove" is what you most often want.

Endre

Re: [VOTE] Moving LF5 to log4j-attic

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
Endre,

You are  correct to observe  that directly moving or  removing history
files  (,v files)  in  the  CVS repository  causes  problems with  the
existing  work copies  that users  have checked  out.  Thanks  for the
heads up.

However,  contrary to  common belief,  the *moved*  history  files are
perfectly functional.  They can be checked out from their new location
and contain the whole revision  history.  AFAIK, the problem is really
limited to the  existing working copies.  In the  case of log4j, there
may  be hundreds  of such  copies thought  the world  which  would all
break. Not a good thing (TM).

In order to ensure a smoother transition, one could *copy* the history
files to log4j-attic and then  perform a *CVS remove* operation on the
LF5 files as  they exists currently in the  log4j CVS repository. This
way, we would get rid of LF5 in our regular work environment and still
keep its history elsewhere for those who may want it.

Make better sense?

As for the build file, anyone interested in developing LF5 should be
able write a target to compile LF5.

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.

Posted by Endre Stølsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>.