Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2015/03/01 13:31:53 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Inappropriate "Compliance Costs"

On 23/02/2015 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> This is the proposed new version of
> http://www.openoffice.org/why/why_compliance.html

I've put the page online. It incorporates the suggestions made in this
thread. The only significant changes are in the "For Developers"
section, that I copy/paste below for review (even if it is online, we
can of course change it at any time).

Following advice from Dennis, I would like to add a 2-3 lines paragraph
on how using Apache Licensed code protects you from patent-related
tricks, but I couldn't find a way to do it properly, so I haven't
included it so far. Suggestions welcome.

   ---
##For Developers: Reduced Constraints on Derivative Products

The permissive nature of the Apache License means that developers and
companies distributing derivative products needn't worry about
combining their code with the OpenOffice code and releasing derivative
products under their license of choice.

The Apache License has no propagative (or "copyleft", or "viral")
effects, i.e., it does not influence the license of the derivative
product: if you base your product on source code distributed under the
Apache License you have no legal obligation of releasing the entire
source code tree to the users of the program. All that is required is an
attribution of the Apache Licensed source code.

The Apache License thus reduces the need for employee education, the
frequency of internal audits, the intensity of internal audits.
   ---

And obviously native English speakers are more than welcome to improve
the text quality.

Regards,
   Andrea.

RE: [DISCUSS] Inappropriate "Compliance Costs"

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
+1 Yes, that is pretty clean, especially with regard to the tone.

Am 03/01/2015 01:31 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> On 23/02/2015 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> This is the proposed new version of
>> http://www.openoffice.org/why/why_compliance.html
>
> I've put the page online. It incorporates the suggestions made in this
> thread. The only significant changes are in the "For Developers"
> section, that I copy/paste below for review (even if it is online, we
> can of course change it at any time).

thanks a lot for your text. I hope that this topic is now finsihed with
this.

Marcus

Re: [DISCUSS] Inappropriate "Compliance Costs"

Posted by marcus <ma...@apache.org>.