Posted to user@flink.apache.org by cslotterback <ch...@comcast.com> on 2017/10/26 15:21:11 UTC

Re: PrometheusReporter error

Hello 김동원,

We are experiencing the same issue you were when trying to use the 1.4
prometheus reporter with 1.3:

----
[...]
Error while registering metric.
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Collector already registered that
provides name: flink_taskmanager_Status_JVM_CPU_Load
[...]
-----

The jira bug associated with this remain open, how were you able to stop
flink from loading
the taskmanager metrics multiple times?

Re: PrometheusReporter error

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
Hi,

there is PR open for fixing the multiple TM metrics registration [1]. We
hope to get it merged in the next days such that it will be part of the
upcoming 1.4 release.

[1] https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/4872

Cheers,
Till

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 5:21 PM, cslotterback <chris_slotterback@comcast.com

Posted by Dongwon Kim <ea...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Two Jira issues are mentioned in this thread:
- [FLINK-7069] Catch exceptions for each reporter separately : Fixed
- [FLINK-7100] TaskManager metrics are registered twice       : Unresolved

I guess your error message is just an warning message.
You can safely ignore it if you are using 1.3.2 or 1.3.3 because FLINK-7069 is included in 1.3.2 release (https://flink.apache.org/news/2017/08/05/release-1.3.2.html).
FYI, FLINK-7069 prevents the metric system of JM and TM from being collapsed when a reporter throws an exception by ignoring them.
In this case, the exception is thrown because TaskManager tries to register a set of its metrics twice during initialization.

I'm still seeing your error messages because FLINK-7100 is not resolved yet.
But, again, the error message is just an warning message; just ignore it.
It is unavoidable even if FLINK-7100 is resolved because concurrent tasks from a TM also cause similar warning messages for other task-related metrics; each of concurrent tasks tries to register a metric with the same name.

If you really do not want to see such warnings, how about adding the following line to your conf/log4j.properties (or log4j-console.properties if you're seeing the error message from console):
- log4j.logger.org.apache.flink.runtime.metrics.MetricRegistry=ERROR, file (or ERROR, console in log4j-console.properties)

Chesnay:
I guess the warning message is quite confusing as it contains a word "Error".

- Dongwon