Posted to dev@isis.apache.org by "Gordon, Bruce B - GMRT-GET" <br...@baml.com> on 2011/05/09 22:49:39 UTC

getting started

Apologies if this is the wrong list. If so please correct.

I'm trying to run the directions at
http://incubator.apache.org/isis/quickstart-app.html

Here's what I receive when I enter the initial MVN command. Any advice?
Thanks, -Bruce

C:\Working\data\workspaces\sts-2.5.2.RELEASE\isis>mvn archetype:generate
^
More? -DarchetypeCatalog=http://incubator.apache.org/isis ^
More? -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.isis.support ^
More? -DarchetypeArtifactId=quickstart-archetype
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'archetype'.
[INFO]
[INFO] Building Maven Default Project
[INFO]    task-segment: [archetype:generate] (aggregator-style)
[INFO]
[INFO] Preparing archetype:generate
[INFO] No goals needed for project - skipping
[INFO] [archetype:generate {execution: default-cli}]
[INFO] Generating project in Interactive mode
[WARNING] Error reading archetype catalog
http://incubator.apache.org/isis
org.apache.maven.wagon.TransferFailedException: Error transferring file:
incubat
or.apache.org
        at
org.apache.maven.wagon.providers.http.LightweightHttpWagon.fillInputD
ata(LightweightHttpWagon.java:143)
        at
org.apache.maven.wagon.StreamWagon.getInputStream(StreamWagon.java:11
6)
        at
org.apache.maven.wagon.StreamWagon.getIfNewer(StreamWagon.java:88)
        at org.apache.maven.wagon.StreamWagon.get(StreamWagon.java:61)
        at
org.apache.maven.archetype.source.RemoteCatalogArchetypeDataSource.do
wnloadCatalog(RemoteCatalogArchetypeDataSource.java:116)
        at
org.apache.maven.archetype.source.RemoteCatalogArchetypeDataSource.ge
tArchetypeCatalog(RemoteCatalogArchetypeDataSource.java:84)
        at
org.apache.maven.archetype.DefaultArchetypeManager.getRemoteCatalog(D
efaultArchetypeManager.java:188)
        at
org.apache.maven.archetype.ui.DefaultArchetypeSelector.getArchetypesB
yCatalog(DefaultArchetypeSelector.java:200)
        at
org.apache.maven.archetype.ui.DefaultArchetypeSelector.selectArchetyp
e(DefaultArchetypeSelector.java:68)
        at
org.apache.maven.archetype.mojos.CreateProjectFromArchetypeMojo.execu
te(CreateProjectFromArchetypeMojo.java:186)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPlugi
nManager.java:490)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(Defa
ultLifecycleExecutor.java:694)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeStandalone
Goal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:569)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(Defau
ltLifecycleExecutor.java:539)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHan
dleFailures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:387)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegmen
ts(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:284)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLi
fecycleExecutor.java:180)
        at
org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:328)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:138)
        at
org.apache.maven.cli.compat.CompatibleMain.main(CompatibleMain.java:6
0)
        at
java:39)
        at
sorImpl.java:25)
        at
        at

Caused by: java.net.UnknownHostException: incubator.apache.org
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:177)
        at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(NetworkClient.java:163)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:394)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:529)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:233)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:306)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:323)
        at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getNewHttpClient(HttpURLC
onnection.java:860)
        at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.plainConnect(HttpURLConne
ction.java:801)
        at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(HttpURLConnection
.java:726)
        at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLCon
nection.java:1049)
        at
java.net.HttpURLConnection.getResponseCode(HttpURLConnection.java:373
)
        at
org.apache.maven.wagon.providers.http.LightweightHttpWagon.fillInputD
ata(LightweightHttpWagon.java:115)
        ... 28 more
[WARNING] Specified archetype not found.
[INFO] No archetype defined. Using maven-archetype-quickstart
(org.apache.maven.
archetypes:maven-archetype-quickstart:1.0)
Choose archetype:
Choose a number: :

This message w/attachments (message) is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or proprietary. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, and then please delete and destroy all copies and attachments, and be advised that any review or dissemination of, or the taking of any action in reliance on, the information contained in or attached to this message is prohibited.
Unless specifically indicated, this message is not an offer to sell or a solicitation of any investment products or other financial product or service, an official confirmation of any transaction, or an official statement of Sender. Subject to applicable law, Sender may intercept, monitor, review and retain e-communications (EC) traveling through its networks/systems and may produce any such EC to regulators, law enforcement, in litigation and as required by law.
The laws of the country of each sender/recipient may impact the handling of EC, and EC may be archived, supervised and produced in countries other than the country in which you are located. This message cannot be guaranteed to be secure or free of errors or viruses.

References to "Sender" are references to any subsidiary of Bank of America Corporation. Securities and Insurance Products: * Are Not FDIC Insured * Are Not Bank Guaranteed * May Lose Value * Are Not a Bank Deposit * Are Not a Condition to Any Banking Service or Activity * Are Not Insured by Any Federal Government Agency. Attachments that are part of this EC may have additional important disclosures and disclaimers, which you should read. This message is subject to terms available at the following link:
http://www.bankofamerica.com/emaildisclaimer. By messaging with Sender you consent to the foregoing.

Re: getting started

Posted by Dan Haywood <dk...@gmail.com>.
On 17/05/2011 16:49, Gordon, Bruce B - GMRT-GET wrote:
> Got my initial problems sorted out. Thanks.
Glad to hear that.

> Is Apache Isis able currently able to support a drag and drop viewer prototype of the following application:
>
> a Subject can belong to 1 or more Groups. Groups have Permissions to perform Actions on hierarchical Resources.
Yeah, I don't see why not.

If you want, you could sketch out the model you have in mind online [1]
as a UML class diagram, and I'll try to give a little more feedback.

Cheers
Dan

[1] http://yuml.de

RE: getting started

Posted by "Gordon, Bruce B - GMRT-GET" <br...@baml.com>.
Got my initial problems sorted out. Thanks. Is Apache Isis able currently able to support a drag and drop viewer prototype of the following application:

a Subject can belong to 1 or more Groups. Groups have Permissions to perform Actions on hierarchical Resources.

Posted by Dan Haywood <dk...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bruce,
Nice to see you trying out Isis, sorry you've hit a snag.

Looking at the stacktrace, it would seem that your computer is unable to
find our host, incubator.apache.org.  If you try a simple:

ping incubator.apache.org

does it work, or do you get an error?

~~~
If you get past that, let me explain how the archetype is set up.

Currently the archetype is a snapshot that I've deployed to (the
snapshots repository on the Nexus repository manager that runs on)
repository.apache.org.  Maven's archetype plugin doesn't know about that
repository by default, though, so what we do is have an
archetype-catalog.xml file on incubator.apache.org, which lists those
snapshots on repository.apache.org.  The -DarchetypeCatalog property is
used to tell Maven's archetype plugin about this catalog.

What that all means is that your network will also be able to access
repository.apache.org as well.  Use

ping repository.apache.org

to check.

Cheers