Posted to xap-dev@incubator.apache.org by Michael Turyn <MT...@nexaweb.com> on 2006/09/14 15:17:56 UTC

Web 1.0 v. 2.0

Thanks for including us in your brain-storming session.

I can't shake the feeling that you'd be best-off admitting the hype first-off (which perhaps you do), finding the common elements to the consumer-oriented changes and asking what those same transofrmations would do to a few business processes.

An example:  Web 1.0 was about static content broadcasted, what I'll call "Web 1.5" is dynamic and targetted content broadcast, and Web 2.0 is static content at least partially generated by the audience or aggregated using analyses of what they want (or are willing to pay for).  (Web 2.5 will presumably allow the audience to easily create dynamic content---a real opening for XAL as the means for users to assemble 1-off apps---, and you can already somewhat narrowcast using keywording to try to attract others.)

What happens to spreadsheets under the same transform?  To supply-chain?  Training/{knowledge retention}? H.R.?

I'm afraid I have the easisest time seeing it applied to training, both because it's most like a consumer application, because it _has_ to get audience buy-in to work (ever taught people who don't want to learn?), and because I've a couple of experiences there
1.) A prospective training programme at Boeing in 1992 using multimedia and experts' commentary
2.) A knowlege base system at ATG built entirely from worker content---I guess the 2.0/2.5 version of it would be the employees' actually adding to the application system itself, rather than just add content to it.

The problem with the other business processes is that they have predetermined goals (e.g., maximise supply availability whilst minimising cost and latency) that can't be trusted to be the users' collective will, so democracy will implicitly be distrusted.

It might seem to hype-y, but perhaps we can use a "Web 2.5" line of marketing....

RE: Web 1.0 v. 2.0

Posted by James Margaris <jm...@nexaweb.com>.
 Posted to wrong list?

James Margaris

> Thanks for including us in your brain-storming session.

Did I miss something? What brainstorming session? Some context for the
rest of your message, below, would be most helpful.

--
Martin Cooper

Re: Web 1.0 v. 2.0

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.