Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by "gaurav.seth" <ga...@kronos.com> on 2012/08/30 11:49:30 UTC

ActiveMQ.DLQ vs Individual dead letter queues

What all messages land in ActiveMQ.DLQ and what all in Individual dead letter
queues. What configuration we need to do in activemq.xml file to do that? I
have following entries in my activemq.xml file and my dead messages are
getting stored in DLQ.wfc.notifications.router:

<destinationPolicy>
            <policyMap>
                <policyEntries>
                    <policyEntry queue=">">
						<deadLetterStrategy>
							<individualDeadLetterStrategy queuePrefix="DLQ."
useQueueForQueueMessages="false" processExpired="false"
processNonPersistent="false"/>
						</deadLetterStrategy>
					</policyEntry>
                </policyEntries>
            </policyMap>
        </destinationPolicy>

Once messages get stored in DLQ, how to deal with these messages? One way is
not to store them altogether. Kindly let me know if there are other ways.

Thanks & Regards,
Gaurav Seth

Re: ActiveMQ.DLQ vs Individual dead letter queues

Posted by Torsten Mielke <to...@fusesource.com>.
Hello,

With the configuration below any queue msgs being moved to a DLQ will end up on the corresponding individual dead letter queue. If you also have durable topic subscriber, then the failure to deliver msgs to these subscribers after 6 redelivery attempts could cause these messages to be moved to ActiveMQ.DLQ, since you did not specify an individual dead letter strategy for topics.

You can process msgs on the DLQ using any regular consumer but its up to you to decide what to do with msgs that end up on the DLQ (which means 6 redelivery attempts were not enough to send the msg to the actual consumer).
You could move them back to the original queue if you think chances are high that they get processed this time, you could also delete them if these msgs are not important.
Msgs on DLQ indicate that they could not be processed correctly due to various potential reasons.

Regards,

Torsten Mielke
torsten@fusesource.com
tmielke@blogspot.com