Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au> on 2015/07/19 04:08:29 UTC

Fwd: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.4.4-incubating (Mentor question)

Just one question I had wrt "BUNDLING PERMISSIVELY-LICENSED DEPENDENCIES".
(from http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps)

It states: "Under normal circumstances, there is no need to modify NOTICE."

Currently I have things like this in some of the NOTICE files:

This product includes/uses the git.io/normalize.css stylesheet
which is distributed under the MIT license
Copyright (c) Nicolas Gallagher and Jonathan Neal

This product includes/uses Jline (http://jline.sourceforge.net)
Distributed under the BSD license
Copyright (c) 2002-2006, Marc Prud'hommeaux <mw...@cornell.edu>

And I have the appropriate license text embedded in the LICENSE.
(No short form is currently possible since we don't have the whole
of those projects embedded as dependencies  just single source files).

Should I delete those entries from NOTICE since they are permissive
licenses? What are the circumstances which aren't considered "normal"
in terms of the howto wording?

Thanks, Paul.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 19/07/15 04:08, Paul King a écrit :

> Just one question I had wrt "BUNDLING PERMISSIVELY-LICENSED
> DEPENDENCIES".
> (from http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps)
>
> It states: "Under normal circumstances, there is no need to modify
> NOTICE."
>
> Currently I have things like this in some of the NOTICE files:
>
> This product includes/uses the git.io/normalize.css stylesheet
> which is distributed under the MIT license
> Copyright (c) Nicolas Gallagher and Jonathan Neal
>
> This product includes/uses Jline (http://jline.sourceforge.net)
> Distributed under the BSD license
> Copyright (c) 2002-2006, Marc Prud'hommeaux <mw...@cornell.edu>
>
> And I have the appropriate license text embedded in the LICENSE.
> (No short form is currently possible since we don't have the whole
> of those projects embedded as dependencies  just single source files).
>
> Should I delete those entries from NOTICE since they are permissive
> licenses? What are the circumstances which aren't considered "normal"
> in terms of the howto wording?
No idea. As said in thepage you mentionned : " Some of these may require
additions to |NOTICE| -- if in doubt, ask
<http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#asking-questions>." and here,
"ask" referes to http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#asking-questions

Re: JLine in NOTICE

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
Indeed, I'll change that. I'll point to the github code site for now.
It has a link to the github.io project information page but not vice
versa at the moment.

Thanks, Paul.

---

JLine in NOTICE (was: Re: Fwd: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.4.4-incubating (Mentor question))

Posted by Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net>.
Hi Paul,