Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Marc Girod <gi...@shire.ntc.nokia.com> on 2003/01/07 17:16:56 UTC

[users@httpd] HeaderName (was: patch to avoid loops in htdig indexing)

I am still unable to get the HeaderName directive to work as I
understand it should.

I was able to comment away the FancyIndexing, and to have this apply
by restarting my httpd service, but I still fail to insert my header
lines into the emitted preamble.

I understand that the default and global "HeaderName HEADER" should
actually find a local HEADER.html (or HEADER) file and insert it. It
doesn't in my case. Could somebody give me an example of a suitable
contents? Or tell me what is wrong with:

<!-- foo bar -->

Thanks.

--
Marc Girod        P.O. Box 323        Voice:  +358-71 80 25581
Nokia NBI         00045 NOKIA Group   Mobile: +358-50 38 78415

[users@httpd] Re: HeaderName

Posted by Marc Girod <gi...@shire.ntc.nokia.com>.

MG> OK. Not for some time. I got lazy and decided that it was enough to
MG> get a fixed title and header for all the pages.

Whereas my HeaderName setting seems to work as expected for
interactive uses, the indexing with htdig seems to by-pass it
completely, and goes back to looping forever.

I did remove the /var/lib/htdig directory before statring the
indexation.

[users@httpd] Re: HeaderName (was: patch to avoid loops in htdig indexing)

Posted by Marc Girod <gi...@shire.ntc.nokia.com>.

MG> I.e. I may again ask for help.

OK. Not for some time. I got lazy and decided that it was enough to
get a fixed title and header for all the pages.

- The '+' syntax in "IndexOptions +SuppressHTMLPreamble" didn't work
- I had to comment away the default: HeaderName HEADER before the
  global /autoindex-header started to apply.
- I *had* to use MultiViews Option

Posted by Marc Girod <gi...@shire.ntc.nokia.com>.
Thanks again, and thanks to John.

JS> In recent Apache versions, this is not the case. You must
JS> explictly name HeaderName Header.html

Not yet in 1.3.27 as it seems, but this is valuable information for me
for the future.

JS> or you must turn on Multiviews in the directory's "Options".

This is what I was missing. I am sorry but I failed to understand this
from the docs (mod_autoindex.html#headername)

Now, I got my first local header included, after <body>, which mean
that I'll have to use the SupressHTMLPreamble you mentioned before, as
well as a CGI (or server-side include... I try to grasp the paragraph
on Content negociation) to produce the expected title from a global
setting.

I.e. I may again ask for help.

Re: [users@httpd] HeaderName (was: patch to avoid loops in htdig indexing)

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Marc Girod wrote:

> I understand that the default and global "HeaderName HEADER" should
> actually find a local HEADER.html (or HEADER) file and insert it. It
> doesn't in my case.

In recent Apache versions, this is not the case.  You must explictly name
HeaderName Header.html
or you must turn on Multiviews in the directory's "Options".

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] HeaderName (was: patch to avoid loops in htdig indexing)

Posted by "John P. Dodge" <do...@cruciate.ca.boeing.com>.
Did you try:

HeaderName HEADER.html

See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_autoindex.html#headername

I believe that the action you describe is only applicable to pre v1.3.6
versions and that in post v1.3.6 versions the <filename> argument is a
relative URI.

On 7 Jan 2003, Marc Girod wrote:

> I am still unable to get the HeaderName directive to work as I
> understand it should.
>
> I was able to comment away the FancyIndexing, and to have this apply
> by restarting my httpd service, but I still fail to insert my header
> lines into the emitted preamble.
>
> I understand that the default and global "HeaderName HEADER" should
> actually find a local HEADER.html (or HEADER) file and insert it. It
> doesn't in my case. Could somebody give me an example of a suitable
> contents? Or tell me what is wrong with:
>
> <!-- foo bar -->
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Marc Girod        P.O. Box 323        Voice:  +358-71 80 25581
> Nokia NBI         00045 NOKIA Group   Mobile: +358-50 38 78415
> Takomo 1 / 4c27   Finland             Fax:    +358-71 80 61604

"Mon aƩroglisseur est plein d'anguilles"
John P. Dodge
Boeing Shared Services