Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by "Suchitha Koneru (sukoneru)" <su...@cisco.com> on 2007/02/19 20:53:21 UTC

disable Max Inactivity Duration

Hello Active Mq users,
   Thank you James, for your help in regard to Inactivity Exceptions.
                  For  disabling the Max Inactivity Duration , so that
the broker is always active
should I configure the broker as  follows
BrokerService broker = new BrokerService();

broker.addConnector("tcp://localhost:61616?trace=true&wireFormat.maxInac
tivityDuration= -1");

broker.start();

maxInactivityDuration is a long value , if I set it to -1 , will the
broker stay alive for ever ?

Is this a recommended way  of disabling  Max Inacvtivity Duration ?

Please let me know,

thanks,

Suchitha.

Re: disable Max Inactivity Duration

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 2/19/07, Suchitha Koneru (sukoneru) <su...@cisco.com> wrote:
> Hello Active Mq users,
>    Thank you James, for your help in regard to Inactivity Exceptions.
>                   For  disabling the Max Inactivity Duration , so that
> the broker is always active
> should I configure the broker as  follows
> BrokerService broker = new BrokerService();
>
> broker.addConnector("tcp://localhost:61616?trace=true&wireFormat.maxInac
> tivityDuration= -1");
>
> broker.start();
>
> maxInactivityDuration is a long value , if I set it to -1 , will the
> broker stay alive for ever ?

Yes - any value <= 0 will do the trick disabling it. (I've updated the
docs to make this a bit more obvious)

BTW the ActiveMQ client should be sending keep alive packets over the
socket to keep it alive - so if you are getting closed sockets due to
inactivity, it may be an effect of some other issue (like blocked
operating system sockets or other networking strangeness).  So it just
may delay the inevitable (e.g. the OS realising a socket is dead after
1-24 hours). The real fix is to use failover: so that the JMS provider
automatically reconnects

--

James
-------

RE: disable Max Inactivity Duration

Posted by Manish Gulati <mg...@quark.com>.
Should set it to 0 instead of -1.

Regards,
Manish Gulati

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This e-mail transmission and any documents, files, or previous e-mail
messages appended or attached to it, may contain information that is
confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that you must not read this
transmission and that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution,
or use of the information contained or attached to this transmission is
STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error,
please immediately notify the sender by telephone +91.172.229.9438 or
return e-mail message mgulati@quark.com and delete the original
transmission, its attachments, and any copies without reading or saving
in any manner. Thank you.