Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/20 19:52:11 UTC

Changing the core API design

Hey everyone,

So I’ve been digging into the code for kickstarting ofbiz and I think it
has design flaws. For example the whole logic around StartupLoader.java
seems to introduce too many levels of indirection just to serve one thing
which is the POS component.

There are unnecessary locks, highly indirect code, and java classes that
should not even exist in base. I think a simple process was made overly
complicated (and as a side effect also slow).

I would like to bounce off a few ideas with anyone experienced in this area
on some design changes. This would be things like:
- eliminating or substantially changing the StartupLoader
- changing the implementation of the AdminPortThread
- better utilization of java.util.concurrent for some areas
- doing something about the POS component, perhaps even removing it, I mean
it depends on XUI, omg! A web solution might be a much better fit

Is anyone interested in working on this? already working on this? or think
I'm going in the right direction? I'd love to hear some thoughts or even
chat up on IRC or something.

I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Taher Alkhateeb