Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2007/11/06 11:50:02 UTC

Using GIT

Hi,

Just finished a first round trip using GIT, the published Maven
repositories, and pushing back to SVN. Other then something I hosed up
with the .svn entries it was a painless experience. Had to wire up a
couple scripts but not a big deal. I did the SVN clone locally and
rsync'd it to the remote machine. Oleg pulled from the remote machine
here:

http://git.sonatype.org/

And then I just pulled back from a repository that Oleg published. The
merging was so easy with GIT and then I just pushed it all back to SVN.

Anyone who wants to try and contribute more I highly recommend using
GIT. It's actually nice to use and I would say it was a success.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Re: Using GIT

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
I just built it from source using ports.

It builds in 25 seconds.

On 6 Nov 07, at 2:48 PM 6 Nov 07, Jason Dillon wrote:

> Are there Mac OS X .dmg images for GIT somewhere?
>
> --jason
>

> On Nov 6, 2007, at 12:50 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just finished a first round trip using GIT, the published Maven
>> repositories, and pushing back to SVN. Other then something I hosed
>> up with the .svn entries it was a painless experience. Had to wire
>> up a couple scripts but not a big deal. I did the SVN clone locally
>> and rsync'd it to the remote machine. Oleg pulled from the remote
>> machine here:
>>
>> http://git.sonatype.org/
>>
>> And then I just pulled back from a repository that Oleg published.
>> The merging was so easy with GIT and then I just pushed it all back
>> to SVN.
>>
>> Anyone who wants to try and contribute more I highly recommend
>> using GIT. It's actually nice to use and I would say it was a
>> success.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> jason at sonatype dot com

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Re: Using GIT

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Re: Using GIT

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 13 Nov 07, at 9:15 AM 13 Nov 07, Paul Gier wrote:

> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>>>
>>> But thats exactly the big deal with git - it makes merging sooo
>>> easy!
>> It does. I've never had an easier time integrating are moderate
>> amount of code. Other then a little burp, which was completely my
>> fault, it was quite painless.
>
> Just out of curiosity what clients are you guys using for git?  Do
> you do branching/merging from the command line or do you use a GUI?

It will use whatever merge client you want, but I generally use the
free merge tool from perforce. But it handles merging pretty much
flawlessly and unless you've got a chance in the same file on the same
line it figures it out.

http://repo.or.cz/w/egit.git

> and the other gui clients didn't seem that good.

The one that comes with it written in Tcl is not pretty but very
functional.

> But the command line tools make most tasks pretty easy.

Read the tutorial. It's really easy to make new branches and merge
them back together.

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Re: Using GIT

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
You should google for egit...it's only in 0.3, IIRC, but seems to
work relatively well for the basics of commit, update, add, remove, etc.

-john

On Nov 13, 2007, at 9:15 AM, Paul Gier wrote:

> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>>>
>>> But thats exactly the big deal with git - it makes merging sooo
>>> easy!
>> It does. I've never had an easier time integrating are moderate
>> amount of code. Other then a little burp, which was completely my
>> fault, it was quite painless.
>
> Just out of curiosity what clients are you guys using for git?  Do
> you do branching/merging from the command line or do you use a
> GUI?  I couldn't find an eclipse plugin yet, and the other gui
> clients didn't seem that good.  But the command line tools make
> most tasks pretty easy.

---
John Casey
Committer and PMC Member, Apache Maven
mail: jdcasey at commonjava dot org
blog: http://www.ejlife.net/blogs/john
rss: http://feeds.feedburner.com/ejlife/john

Re: Using GIT

Posted by Paul Gier <pg...@redhat.com>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On 12 Nov 07, at 4:21 PM 12 Nov 07, Mark Struberg wrote:
>
>> --- Johan Kindgren <jo...@acrend.se> schrieb:
>>> Maybe it's better to make things easier for the
>>> committers? I've been following this list for a couple of months, and
>>> it seems to be a reoccuring issue that patches are available but it
>>> takes a (more or less) long time before they are applied.
>>
>> But thats exactly the big deal with git - it makes merging sooo easy!
>
> It does. I've never had an easier time integrating are moderate amount
> of code. Other then a little burp, which was completely my fault, it was
> quite painless.

Just out of curiosity what clients are you guys using for git?  Do you do
branching/merging from the command line or do you use a GUI?  I couldn't find an

Re: Using GIT

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 12 Nov 07, at 4:21 PM 12 Nov 07, Mark Struberg wrote:

> --- Johan Kindgren <jo...@acrend.se> schrieb:
>> Maybe it's better to make things easier for the
>> committers? I've been following this list for a couple of months, and
>> it seems to be a reoccuring issue that patches are available but it
>> takes a (more or less) long time before they are applied.
>
> But thats exactly the big deal with git - it makes merging sooo easy!

It does. I've never had an easier time integrating are moderate amount
of code. Other then a little burp, which was completely my fault, it
was quite painless.

> This way the commiters can pull in changes from anywhere easily
> (almost) without having to merge
> each line manually anymore.

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Re: Using GIT

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

       __________________________________ Ihr erstes Fernweh? Wo gibt es den schönsten Strand? www.yahoo.de/clever

Re: Using GIT

Posted by Johan Kindgren <jo...@acrend.se>.
Just a thought on your comment on making things easy for the
contributors: Maybe it's better to make things easier for the
committers? I've been following this list for a couple of months, and
it seems to be a reoccuring issue that patches are available but it
takes a (more or less) long time before they are applied.

Speeding up the release cycle would be more interesting from my point
of view! Unfortunately I haven't got a solution for the issue...

/Johan

Re: Using GIT

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 12 Nov 07, at 9:17 AM 12 Nov 07, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2007 2:57 PM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
>
>> Authors retain copyright and it's GPL'd. I don't think Linus much
>> cares beyond that, but I imagine Redhat does.
>
> After all the SCO hazzle, rest assure he does. See, for example
>
>    http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/qna/0,289202,sid39_gci966795,00.html

Then I'll follow that guide as he usually does what is least intrusive
as he's sensitive to making the contribution path easy.

> --
> Look, that's why there's rules, understand? So that you think before
> you break 'em.
>
>    -- (Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time)

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Re: Using GIT

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Using GIT

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Re: Using GIT

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Using GIT

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
> > All the information from the contributor should now be available in
> > the main repo as well.
> - what I
> was asking here is how after someone has merged the changes, we can
> keep track of where they came from (relying on an external repo url
> is not realistic for this, in case it goes away in the future).
Oh, sorry i forgot to mention what 'all the information from the contributor' means:
.) the contributors name (or whatever he set with git-config user.name xxxx)
.) the contributors email (same with git-config user.email)
.) the sha1 of the patch which uniquely identifies the changes
.) timstamp of original commit
.) timestamp of merge
.) comment

full doc can be found here:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/user-manual.html#commit-object

Btw: Patches may not only be merged via git-fetch ing from others repos but could also via email.
See git-format-patch / git-am for handling patches via email.

There is a good manpage about the process at ko:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/core-tutorial.html

      Machen Sie Yahoo! zu Ihrer Startseite. Los geht's:
http://de.yahoo.com/set

Re: Using GIT

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 12/11/2007, at 3:38 AM, Mark Struberg wrote:

> --- Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> schrieb:
>>> Next, how can other committers get visibility into what the
>>> contributors contributed? Much like a patch, it all gets committed
>>> under one ID, but in that case we have the original contribution in
>>> JIRA. Is there a way we'll be able to see what it was at some
>>> arbitrary point in the future?
>
> The scenario would imho look like the following:
>
> .) contributor has a git-clone of the maven-repo
> .) contributor creates a new git-branch for the feature and changes
> all the things needed (same
> like in a 'clean' patch) (or for small changes we only need the
> sha1 of the single commit)
> .) contributor tells the committers what he has changed and where
> they can find the repo(url +
> branch or even the single sha1 commit-key).
> .) the committer git-pull the feature branch into his own repo and
> if it's ok he merges the
> changes to the master branch.
> .) committer pushes the changes to the public maven git-repo and
> then exports the changes to svn
>
> All the information from the contributor should now be available in
> the main repo as well.
>
> If you find a better way, then please let me know ;)

I might be misunderstanding, but this sounds like the answer to my
other question about getting contributors changes into trunk - what I
was asking here is how after someone has merged the changes, we can
keep track of where they came from (relying on an external repo url
is not realistic for this, in case it goes away in the future).

Aside from that, do you have a guess at how long this takes/easy it
is to do? I may be missing something, but it sounds worse than
applying a patch from JIRA :)

Thanks for the response!

- Brett

Brett Porter - brett@apache.org

Re: Using GIT

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 12 Nov 07, at 3:38 AM 12 Nov 07, Mark Struberg wrote:

> --- Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> schrieb:
>>> Next, how can other committers get visibility into what the
>>> contributors contributed? Much like a patch, it all gets committed
>>> under one ID, but in that case we have the original contribution in
>>> JIRA. Is there a way we'll be able to see what it was at some
>>> arbitrary point in the future?
>
> The scenario would imho look like the following:
>
> .) contributor has a git-clone of the maven-repo
> .) contributor creates a new git-branch for the feature and changes
> all the things needed (same
> like in a 'clean' patch) (or for small changes we only need the sha1
> of the single commit)
> .) contributor tells the committers what he has changed and where
> they can find the repo(url +
> branch or even the single sha1 commit-key).
> .) the committer git-pull the feature branch into his own repo and
> if it's ok he merges the
> changes to the master branch.

> .) committer pushes the changes to the public maven git-repo and
> then exports the changes to svn

 From here I pull from the repository that was worked on by the
contributor and then use git-svn to "dcommit" back to Apache. It's
essentially a series of pulls until I do the final "push" back to
Apache. This is the model for the Linux kernel though there is no
final push. Linus just pulls to his copy which is effectively the
master.

Re: Using GIT

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Re: Using GIT

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Jason - any thoughts on the 3 questions below?

On 06/11/2007, at 6:24 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> Firstly - you mentioned in your original post [1] that you were
> setting up a legal framework for the contributions. What was the
> resolution to this in general?
>
> Next, how can other committers get visibility into what the
> contributors contributed? Much like a patch, it all gets committed
> under one ID, but in that case we have the original contribution in
> JIRA. Is there a way we'll be able to see what it was at some
> arbitrary point in the future?
>
> Finally, how do other committers go about merging a branch back
> into the mainline svn repository?

I would be willing to investigate whether I can use this to absorb
patches for Surefire.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter - brett@apache.org

Re: Using GIT

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 06/11/2007, at 9:50 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> Anyone who wants to try and contribute more I highly recommend
> using GIT. It's actually nice to use and I would say it was a success.

This is interesting - it's something I've wanted to try for a while
and it's a good idea to try new things and find a better way of
working with people that want to help.

If it's going to be used more often beyond the experiment - I have
some questions :) I only have a general idea of how this works, so
apologies for the possible newbie questions in there.

Firstly - you mentioned in your original post [1] that you were
setting up a legal framework for the contributions. What was the
resolution to this in general?

Next, how can other committers get visibility into what the
contributors contributed? Much like a patch, it all gets committed
under one ID, but in that case we have the original contribution in
JIRA. Is there a way we'll be able to see what it was at some
arbitrary point in the future?

Finally, how do other committers go about merging a branch back into
the mainline svn repository?

Thanks,
Brett

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-dev/200709.mbox/%
3C2167205B-AFEC-4FA3-BA3C-D5AEBAC5797F@maven.org%3E

--
Brett Porter - brett@apache.org

Re: Using GIT

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 7 Nov 07, at 12:47 AM 7 Nov 07, Mark Struberg wrote:

> Hi Jason!
>
> First of all +1 for git ;)
>
> Is it possible to also enable the http protocol for your repository?

Sure, I can do that. It was just easier to use the GIT protocol and
it's much, much faster. It's crazy fast (I'm stealing a James Strachan
line).

> Since i'm behind a corporate firewall at work, i cannot clone it
> from here.
> This might also be a problem for other users out there.

Not a problem to turn it on.

> I do not know how deep into git you are, so here's a short
> description how i usually enable the
> http access for my repos:
> You basically only have to run
> ./git-update-server-info
> ( http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-update-server-info.html
>  )
> and allow the hooks/post-update by changing the g+x.
> This script will then be called automatically after each push and
> create all the info needed for
> cloning the repo over http via
> git-clone http://git.sonatype.org/maven-2.1.git

Yah, I've script up publishing a repo from Apache as I did this over
and over again. I'll try to write something up when I get a change and
I have to drop a few files into the SVN repos for legal muck.

RE: Using GIT

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Hi Jason!